A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2006-07-24 09:35:24

atang1
Administrator

Understanding USB in Austrumi ?

Its difficult when you see USB devices installed in the script flying by your eyes during boot. Yet they are not in EN17 window manager.

Those USB devices except keyboard and mouse are not usable or even visible in filemanager or terminals. What to do?

In filemanager you can mount it(lower right corner) and see some activity?

2006-07-24 09:35:24

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2006-09-22 14:34:53

KLU

Re: Understanding USB in Austrumi ?

Thanks for this tip; I couldn`t work out how to mount my USB flash drive before.
Clicking on "usb" in the bottom right corner of the emelfm2 file manager mounted it.

#3 2006-09-23 07:11:05

atang1
Administrator

If you are using v1.20; you must get copies of different v1.10 which has a manual of sorts and you can see how things get worked around.

This is because of the ambition to keep versions below 50 mb. So, if you did not have v1.10 experience, you miss a number of the traditions of Latvian osftware philosophy.

But if you like austrumi like I do, you get all the versions and if you can mount the cd, you can remaster with most of the older packages of Austrumi applications.

#4 2007-07-19 00:45:23

boczkowski

HI,

I am new to Austrumi LInux and am trying to get an older laptop (P3, 800mhz) running it successfully so I can write on it and then save the files to a USB stick.  However, I canno mount the USB stick as per your instructions.

I am booting from a LIVE CD
My USB stick is already inserted

I open emelFM2 yes?
Click in bottom right corner  usb button to mount yes?

What should happen next?
I see no activity on stick (light not flashing like being accessed)

I know this stick works under Windows on this laptop so what should I do now??

If I cannot mount the USB - Austrumi is no use to me - I want to be able to install it to Hard Drive.

cheers

Boczkowski

#5 2007-07-19 10:48:16

atang1
Administrator

Philosophically, you store all data in attached file on yahoo or hotmail email free accounts, because Austrumi is stateless, no storage on your own or public computers.

In v1.5.0, the usb flash drive in 6-in-1 card reader can be written to, for USB boot.

Try the file manager there(v1.5.0) to store your data? Previous versions did not have file system(script to store data in USB Fat16 partitions for file manager) written for USB data storage. Maybe Andrejs will write the USB_fs.sfs in v1.6.0, independent of USB boot operating system that can store data in USB flash cards?

Anyway, many of us still need Floppy or cdr to boot USB flash cards, not having bios to boot USB directly?

#6 2007-07-19 11:05:43

boczkowski

hi

I have managed to get the usb stick mounted with emelFM2 and can see, access and open files from there BUT I am unable to SAVE back to the USB memory stick drive

any idea why?

the lptop I will be using will not be used to access the internet ever - it is JUST for writing on

The web = too much distraction

#7 2007-07-19 19:33:19

atang1
Administrator

It seems to me file managers can only move or copy from one drive to another. You have to know the command and -options. You move or copy file from ramdisk to USB stick.

In order to save to USB drive, you have to use terminal, or application software such as abiword. And you have to know if the USB drive is sda1 or sda, and the directory and file, etc. You save the data from abiword to USB sda not to any randisks?

Adverts

Board footer