A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-03-24 15:41:50

atang1
Administrator

Austrumi vs. Puppy ? Both are not streamline for laptops by cpu class

Austrumi had no intention of going back to PI/II cpus that are less than 96 mB of drams. If it does support those cpus, it has to do text mode only or compatible views of webpages that IE8 supports. Puppy can work with less memory maybe. Otherwise you have to go back to Puppy v2.15 boot it with a floppy boot manager disk. Firefox 1.5.0.12 maybe good enough for less memory on laptops.

Austrumi 2.3.x will support PIII without PAE(less than 4 gB of memory). PAE extends from 4 gB to 64 gB of internal meory. And Austrumi can enable WiFi on boot to connect immediately. Laptops seldom lose signals, because of large area loop antenna; whereas pcmcia and USB WiFi has too small an antenna area. PIII with 512 mB is suffficient to run both Austrumi and Puppy Lucid 5.x. the key is support bcm438 chipset for WiFi/g. Dell c610 has some problems with Opera on v2.3.2; maybe Opera can not connect WiFi too well(both IE8 and Firefox4 has server can not be found problems in awesomebar). IBM 600x or t43 was not used yet with Austrumi v2.3.2.

Austrumi on P4M cpu runs on Dell D610 because it can handle 4 gB of internal memory. But Toughbook cf-48 P4M can only handle 1 gB internal memory. Austrumi stopped at no PAE before it loaded Linux. D610 works with Austrumi v2.3.0. Have not tried Puppy lucid on D610 yet.

These three classes of cpus and their chipsets are 3 classes of operating systems, in otherwords, they need different display drivers, and wiFi drivers. to make them usable today.

2011-03-24 15:41:50

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-03-26 09:53:47

atang1
Administrator

Re: Austrumi vs. Puppy ? Both are not streamline for laptops by cpu class

When operating systems boot, they have to find the booting device with the operating system. otherwise they need a booting order, Older laptops without cdrom or USB booting options in bios had to boot from floppy, And sbminst.exe can do it, but beware of 0/1(master or slave) installed on the computer.

When you have Wifi/a/b/g/n on the laptop, Linux has to install the drivers for the internal WiFi with the large antenna. If none then install pcmcia WiFi unit. If there are no pcmcia, then USB WiFi unit. Linux does not use plug and play installs, so script has to have driver install order. Udev choice is the driver you install yourself. But kernel has WiFi drivers, and dhcp connects. So, kernels has to select the WiFi drivers for the unit installed on your laptops. Aparently kernels prefer mini pci wifi unit and installed that Wifi very fast. Pcmcia(edup) and USB WiFi, you have to install yourself from WiFi installer(Ralink or Realtek) on cd.

This is not to neglect the current state of art of WiFi router improvements. Cisco is for large system. Others are for your home only and can get lossy on ip address assignment from your own router. Microsft zero configuration is replacing configuration on WiFi utility. And packets are controlled by browsers as we speak to prevent errors of packet colission on your router. Reduction of crc error ratio to Tx sent, also however slow down the Wifi packets initiation on your computer.

This plus our proposed improvements in browsers to get the simultaneous data transfer in Wifi/n/g(ogfm) data rate edgeQam channels. Browsers will never be the same again.

#3 2011-10-17 08:49:50

atang1
Administrator

Linux cpu classes are i386, i486, i586, and i686(Pentium I up). I386 will run ARM cpu. i486 has hardware FPU and have to shut down software FPU. i586 has writeback of codes instead of write through. Ext3 and ext4 will have troubles of data corruption if segmented more than 6 times. you need local defrag modules to keep ext3/4 data integrity at all times. i686 has branch prediction of 32 bit software. 64 bit operating system is made of two 32 bit with a shift register between them. you have to use the latest linux kernels(3.0.4) to run i686 with PAE.

This cpu matching with linux kernels is the key to usabiity of distros. Watch the change logs to see if your laptop can use a certain distro. some cpu has too many special requirement to use general classification, so many distros use i386(16/32 bit for 16 bit games) or i486(32 bit only) to get the older laptops more distro compatibility. Cpu instruction sets do not make speed much better. The clock and FSB speed uses wait states that could penalize speed greatly.

Eventually, distros understood cpu classes and can help themselves to have more usable distros. You have to design the kernels to fit the cpu and its chipsets for IBMPC architecture.

#4 2011-10-28 16:39:49

atang1
Administrator

Since the new atom cpu is really PIII(46 million transistors), Linux tiny distros can have one version to do PIII cpu. It can also handle PII(7.5 million transistors i686) with external L2 cache. On PII, you have to buy the 333 mh(FSB 66 mhz) laptops. and be prepared to try sdram of P100 FSB. If the external cache can be overclocked and P100 memory used, the cpu can also be running 100 mhz FSB and ratio of 5 in the bios. 500 mhz overclocked sweetspot cpu is pretty fast to work with wifi of 450 kBps transfer rate. Austrumi can use v1.1.0 and Firefox8(kernel 2.6.14 wifi drivers orinoco_cs must be loaded by the kernel on booting the livecd).

So, this is a 500 mhz sweet spot in the Linux world. You can also use XP or W2k with these laptops.

Then you have P4 cpu laptops of over 2 ghz. You have chipsets of Intel that needs drivers. You have to use Linux kernels of later version Xorg than for PIII cpu. Distro for P4 cpu needs a different newer kernel and Xorg drivers.

Now, of course you have the latest i3, i5 and i7(850 million transistors) cpu to try the latest 3.1 kernels.

#5 2011-10-30 03:24:04

atang1
Administrator

The trouble of Linux kernels is that you have to select the class of cpu first. then the drivers are no longer usable. Take slitaz 3.0, selected i386, so that it will work with all cpus with backward compatibility inside the cpu. But when we try to use the wifi drivers, only orinoco_cs being 16 bit 5v works. The rest of the wifi drivers do not, because they are i686 to work with kernels of i686 cpu, meaning the instruction set is different in the drivers. Now that I understood the kernel mismatch with drivers date coded, we can eventually get more qualified drivers to work in Linux distros by date code for i386 and date codes for i686 drivers. But in the mean time, we can find hardware peripherals to fit the drivers of old. All i386 distros can use orinoco wifi cards. all i486 can use ath9k, all i686 can use b43 drivers? Lucky us, we have i386 and orinoco_cs to make SliTaz work wifi?

Hopefully. vintage laptops can be salvaged by free to use Linux distros but selected hardware peripherals that fits the cpu class and specific drivers. Puppy if understood drivers and its dated features called out by instruction sets of cpu class, will eliminate many drivers, not to waste people's time to fix drivers. Symlink is GNU fix of filenames mix and match. if there are missing bindings. Here, we are talking about class of cpu design and different sets of instructions that creates bugs.

In i686 PIII and P4 needed to have different Xorg versions loaded to match the cpu and chipset combination.

Well, once you get the hardware architecture sorted out, then cpu instructions and drivers can be matched. Eventually, Linux kernels will be usable as an operating system. Linus' git(GNU symlink) does not merge kernels correctly by instruction sets of cpu classes.

In Linux, just give us a few old drivers that works free, we'll be lucky. Don't give us bugs galore and the kitchen sink now that we know where the bugs come from(git). Puppy has to find compiler toolchain that sort out cpu instruction sets?

Footnote:
ARM cpu is designed to be in embedded system and its instruction sets can be change in chip design. So, it is classified as an i386, but the extra embedded instructions will make them a nightmare in Linux all inclusive kernels. Linus had kept ARM out of Linux kernels, which makes Android an orphan in the making(linux stack with missing ARM embedded instructions).

#6 2013-08-25 07:16:25

atang1
Administrator

Many laptops available on ebay are still Pentium3 down to 300 mhz. i486 is minimum operating system; Ubuntu8 runs on IBM600x that blocked winXP installation due to password.

austrumi or Puppy both can be use on IBM600x.

With wifi and bigdata websites that shows all the changes in one glance, these slow laptops will do an adequate job in a few minutes.

#7 2013-09-16 16:29:18

atang1
Administrator

Puppy is now adding languages, but not good enough to switch language after installed, like Austrumi.

Austrumi can have productivity doing import/export business. Puppy is just good for each country that use one language at a time.

#8 2013-10-21 09:55:05

atang1
Administrator

There are computers usable still by W2k and WinXP; Starting with old PII cpu(686) to P4m.

There are Linux distros still supporting those cpus. Slitaz 3.0 stable and dlink dwa642 made those computers wifi and internet bigdata webpage capable.

Many linux distros tried to use Ubuntu codes for more modern cpus. People did not realize that older cpus are still in use, but the new cpus are not bought. So linux popularity is suffering. My older computers can not use Mint. Ubuntu 8 still can be used with Firefox 3.6.

This website tries to support the older cpu and shake down the older operating systems for the older cpus on the present internet technology.

Adverts

Board footer