Unofficial Austrumi Linux for English users forum golf & dvd

A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-01-12 10:58:57

Sage

More language and locale issues.

I really like Austrumi. Trouble is, every so often the developers forget to switch on the code that enables boot-code lang=en to provide English legends. It's happened again in v2.2.5.
I am also left wondering what the fourth largest economy in the world has done to upset our Latvian friends?  A GB keyboard would be a great asset, not least for all the ex-pats now stationed in Blighty.

2011-01-12 10:58:57

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-01-13 03:10:29

atang1
Administrator

Re: More language and locale issues.

I was in Las Vegas attending the 2011 CES show, which is very good this year with 140,000 visitors. So, I did not know the latest v2.2.5. In general, you can find the flags in the menu(left click on the mouse) and click it to get the language you want.

The boot cheat codes are now trickier to use. I think you use tab on the keyboard then enter the lang=en or some such thing. Wish Puppy were this simple? Barry still confused about USB coldplug(/dev activated) and hotplug(udev /usr activated) activation. He forgot fixing kernel 2.6.34.x symlink /dev/usb to work cold or hotplug. Austrumi v2.2.5 has kernel 2.6.37 with udev dynamic link.

But Latvian is not being booted. Its still Russian but a language dialect used at their Russian university in their Latvian home town.

Austrumi uses later kernels and newer apps each new version. Takes a while to adapt to the newer kernels.

Why use US keyboards? Probably just availability in Latvia. You can change the l18n keyboard and change back using alt-shift.

I am sure you are also interested in how to add Ralink 3090 WiFi/n drivers. The easiest way is to use Ralink installer to install their drivers, rather than to use Linux to install Ralink static(kernel independent) Linux drivers.

#3 2011-01-18 09:50:27

Sage

Yes, I used to be able to negotiate the Latvian options (forgot the boot codes) but cannot find the language settings on left click any longer! Boot codes no longer work.
Really sad that Latvians think that the English Language has anything to do with those guys on the other side of the Atlantic. The need for a GB keyboard is vital to get the £ symbol. The euro symbol can be tricky, too.
Thanks for the wi-fi advice; never use it - everything wired here.

#4 2011-01-18 13:42:07

atang1
Administrator

Well, austrumi is known for its many languages, so its there for you to find any of them.

V2.2.5 IS NOW 195 Mb LONG. added many software and updated but did not remove any languages.

You can add keyboard map in the english version? Change from us to uk in Xorg xf86-input-keyboard (v1.3 used in slackware) currently version 1.5. Find howto in Arch Linux.

#5 2011-03-01 13:54:32

C'est moi

The cheat code is actually lang_uk, which is a departure from the usually lang=en. However, only parts of the menus and scripts have been translated which makes it very difficult to netgotiate! The US k/b is more of a nuisance, but I know the @/" exchange which is perhaps the most important one, esp. as I never use $ !!!

#6 2011-03-01 20:54:46

atang1
Administrator

If you get partly english, you can find the flags(in menu) to switch totally into english/american.

Basically cheatcodes uses tab to enable input, it does not change to language and all its filesystem. Then you only get a few GUI in the lang=uk. In order to switch to the perticulare language GUI in its own file system, you have mouse click on the flag of the country.

#7 2011-03-02 07:10:29

C'est moi

Can't find the flags in 2.2.5 and 2.2.9.
What is the Latvian word I am looking for?!
Methinks these developers underestimate the value of their work. There's patriotism and there's enlightened self-interest of globalism! No value in keeping things to yourself. Around the world, English is spoken - and I don't mean American. This is no statement of pride, neo-Imperilism or smugness, it's just the way it is. The language schools around London are full of Chinese students who don't want the American version. English English is the ultimate b*st*rd language with links all the way back to Sanskrit and borrowing heavily from virtually every European and Asian languages since the Greeks and Romans. The grammar is simple, no genders, simple plurals, few cases/intractable declensions , try to live with the irregular nouns and verbs...

Eventually, I found the 'flags' under Istatiejumi/Voludys. Selected 'English' - everything still in Latvian !

Last edited by C'est moi (2011-03-02 10:43:58)

#8 2011-03-02 11:27:48

atang1
Administrator

Andrejs's english(American) had improved. But, it is important to know that language GUI is in a file system of its own. When you switch language, all the database also had to change. No translation possible. This is the Linux operating system(full of bugs). You can not simply use kudzu to select l18n or keyboard for your language, then translate all the characters in GUI to other languages.

Austrumi is done in Russian(blin installer). So, all language GUI modules had to replace the Russian language. English version is also from Russian base, so many words have not all been changed to English(American flag). American flag file system has the best english GUI. The English english flag does not have all the GUI changed correctly yet.

So, Andrejs is trying to give an English english keyboard version. It will take time? There were records(on old Austrumi forum) on google cached about how the Greek version was done for Austrumi. First find a Greek Linux version, then find the russian GUI file names. finally put Greek GUI into the Russian GUI file names, one by one. Add the Greek language GUI into a file system and Greek flag to switch languages. And remaster the whole Austrumi operating system. Since then Italian and other languages were also added this way.

It is not a question of the British empire and its language. Austrumi is based on Blin Linux written in Russia.

#9 2011-03-02 11:37:17

C'est moi

Thanks for those comments, atang1. When I started using Austrumi a while back it seemed easier to negotiate - the flags were obvious and most of the icon labels were translated. Progress is a strange beast!

#10 2011-03-02 11:49:48

atang1
Administrator

Its not really progress. Its an attempt to be a mini Linux operating system. Clearly, it got less usable because the communications are limited to eth0.

Hopefully, the iPad and androids will influence Andrejs to look at what an operating system should be, ehich is communications with all other computers. That means WiFi, and backup dialup modem on laptops. Once comunications is done, then languages are the next most imortant item. Keyboard change to do online banking around the world?

Austrumi will have to be stripped down to get these functionality.

#11 2013-09-16 08:23:10

atang1
Administrator

USB wifi devices have better Linux drivers, made by realtek and ralink. But most are Linux 2.6.

Pcmcia wifi was mostly prism drivers for orinoco devices(802.11b), which is too slow to get on internet by cable TV modems and Firefox browsers.

I am no longer able to get Andrejs from Austrumi forum at slackers.lv. Can you?? Is that the end of Austrumi downloads(ftp://austrumi.ru.lv)? Which index shows v2.7.7 as the latest version. Test is v2.8.0 a smaller version.

Languages is the important contribution from Austrumi for a Linux operating system.

Adverts

Board footer