Unofficial Austrumi Linux for English users forum golf & dvd

A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-12-13 05:15:39

atang1
Administrator

Downloaded 5.31 scsi using free download mnager at 125 kBps wifi/b ?

Servers often had too many users and slow down to transfer data. 65 kbps is about 1 mbps. Free download manager often can get up to 10 servers to do parallel downloads. but for puppy mirror, it found only two servers. It downloaded 125 kBps fine, and magiciso did the 24x burn on cdr fine.

The slacko booted fine. But some sweet spots were not known. Such as external dialup modem install. Or boot connect to free wifi hotspot using wisecom wifi/b card. There are a few cards that will connect without using Puppy wireless wizards.The wizards are never intended to work with hot spots. The scripts were all done wrong.

ie., wifi cards have radio on, to receive list of hotspots. you have to select one unsecured access point to connect by dhcp to get ip address, which connects your wifi to the gateway router. All the wizards of Puppy did not have the right scripts. Dougle wizard can load drivers, but no hotspot list to dhcp a gateway network to connect.

You have to use the kernel wifi drivers and auto connect. In my collection of wifi cards, only wisecom card will connect after boot without using Puppy wizards, There were reports of other wifi cards that can connect upon booting, but people did not make an effort to report hardware compatibility list.

Puppy depends largely on kernel automation and a few small desktop apps(pet packages). Woof tries to use binary apps of other distro package. But the system tools are made up of misunderstandings of procedures to get networks working. Workgroup network is not the same as wifi network, for instance. Barry probably had no way to get on a wifi hotspot, where he lives. He has to setup a gateway router as a wifi free hotspot at home, to test wifi card on all the Puppy network wizards. Other developers. so far, missed the importance of hardware compatibility list for Puppy versions.

I have shaken down SliTaz 3.0, by having a list of wifi cards that can be used with SliTaz 3.0 stable. Otherwise, SliTaz has problems getting on internet. Woof has to have hardware list of compatibility with linux kernel version number.

2011-12-13 05:15:39

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-12-13 10:37:59

atang1
Administrator

Re: Downloaded 5.31 scsi using free download mnager at 125 kBps wifi/b ?

Woof is using other distros' binary codes, which means also system tools.

Woof should strip out all older puppy system tools not conforming to kernel modes and some automation, especially driver versions installed by specific kernel versions.

This way, Woof will have tcl/tk Pet but not kernel dependent. All other packages will conform to other distros' dependency issues. No more bugs added by puppy in Woof.

When Woof change kernel versions, all hell break loose. Linux has no backward compatibility maintenance attempted, hoping new codes will obsolete the old codes. That is why desktop apps of older graphics are obsoleted. Desktops are dead, unless you use internet for continuity of apps.

#3 2011-12-14 08:02:32

atang1
Administrator

Still deep in the Linux bugginess is the EXT3/4 file system not able to do local defrag on fat32 writeback(20% faster than write through) caused FAT32 overflow. You lose data when writeback exceeded six fragmentation. You have to immediately write through on the fifth writebacks on i586 cpu and beyond i686.

File system without local defrag, which first showed up on drupal, and worked wonderfully, may force a reinstall. Knoppix solved the problem of ext3 with livecd, which never need defraq, you boot with a fresh copy of operating system each and every time. I am still using SliTaz 3.0 on livecd.

Woof is a new concept of borrowing the hard work of other distros to make newer kernels work. But it is not wise to add older puppy codes that is not kernel independent(such as JAVA apps or binary static apps). Woof has to consider each distros' gcc compilation version too(not T2 subset or roll back to only older features).

In the end, Woof principle definition is kernel version that runs the operating system not puppy old codes. Linus is merging kernel features that are new to avoid fixing old bugginess by making old apps no longer working in new kernel versions. Debian apps can survive because its principle is to be kernel independent.

Footnote:
Microsoft after added local defrag in their operating system, scandisk was abandoned. Complex restore of operating system is now a summary of the registry on a date operating system is still successful. Which writes off faulty codes beyond that date into archives.

#4 2011-12-23 08:37:08

atang1
Administrator

Linux kernels since 2.6.24 had Intel Centrino drivers for wifi/b which is very fast(550-900 kBps data transfer).

Kernel will install wifi if you are using Pentium 4 motherboard. Does Woof do it?

I booted Slacko 5.31 with orinoco pc-card. Nothing can be installed on this Puppy(2.6.37 kernel which only has intel N 100 and 130 Centrino drivers), does not have the old 3945ABG drivers for Centrino/b.. Its important to know that kernel version had different intel centrino drivers for different motherboards or cards.

http://www.intellinuxwireless.org

This is the reason linux kernels are hardware compatible depending on version numbers. Any Puppy and kernel version should have a list of kernel drivers for people to match their computer motherboards.

I have retreated from Linux to older Windows because of drivers compatibility issues. Intel, AMD and other driver developers did not consider backward compatibility conveniences.

#5 2012-05-05 12:48:25

atang1
Administrator

Recently v5.3.3 has been released. It is for i686, 900 mhz and 256 mB of drams(01micko's computer). Based on slackware v13.37 and kernel 3.1.10. which means it maybe able to run slackware arm if compiled for armv7.

The problem of puppy slack is not watching out for slackware v13.37 platform of i486/i586(armv7 compatible without thumb). So, some cpu that works with slackware 13.37 may not work with puppy 5.3.3.

This has been a problem with Austrumi pushing forward with kernels that are more recent. Many cpu(s) were not able to use Austrumi of recent releases. Slackware is more compatible with older cpu(s). And more comfortable with commandline inputs.

The popularity of Austrumi suffered, because of recent platforms are Intel i series cpu or AMD 64 bit cpu. to keep up with Austrumi will cost you many dollars of investment into new hardware. I am more interested to support pentium I with WiFi/b drivers. So, we support only SliTaz 3.0 stable livecd at this forum and recently also Ubuntu 8.04 with Firefox 3.6 LTS installed on IBM 600x PIII 500 mhz.

This forum has now a different flavor. The quality of Ubuntu 8.04 with older orinoco pc-cards are really superb. Updated system works well, and bugs are mostly worked out after all these 5 years of updating. Most people using Linux has to appreciate the hardwork of LTS to reduce bugs to zero; and if it does not have 5 years, Linux can not work well. Rhel 5.0 or Centos can be used; because they are for older cpu(s) using older kernels. You have to look at Ubuntu 8.04 as if you are using Rhel 5.0 Linux.

Comparing with windows of w2k and XP, it took many years for Microsoft to autoupdate from sp1 to spx to work everyday. But we had to use Firefox to bridge the openGL codec from directx for browser on internet.

#6 2012-05-12 09:02:40

atang1
Administrator

With the Ubuntu 8.04 maturing and free from bugs after 5 years of support, now possibly updated Firefox 3.6.x can be supported by ubuntu too. This raised the bar of competitors who had no LTS for any of their operating system using Linux kernels.

But first we have to go back to hardware compatibility list to qualify the Linux distro. Ubuntu 8.04 maybe good for Pentium I and better?

So, it goes. Puppy 5.3.3 maybe limited more to cpu class(i686)? Slackware is i586 or better by itself.

Adverts

Board footer