Unofficial Austrumi Linux for English users forum golf & dvd

A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-04 19:19:58

atang1
Administrator

Linux bugs galore or software no longer works ? Why bother ?

Linux kernel version always had dependency issues, it uses library from GCC compilers. GCC is compatible with C, C+, C++ and graphics toolkits. The bugs galore came from missing bindings every time kernel version change with merged codes and different file names. Symlinks often has to be blacklisted to prevent missed matched file switching. Now we discovered that kernels did not merge drivers of the same platform, so instruction set differences made drivers crash. This can be tested in distros of i386, i486, i586 and several levels of i686 for backward compatibility in drivers included in kernel mode.

But unfortunately, graphics toolkits are revised for eyecandy effects. And many older applications of the former graphics protocol(toolkits) can no longer work in the new schemes.

Linux, thus is a mess. With devoted distro maintainers' hard work, the best can only be a few sweetspots if you use the same hardware and only browser for internet. Bugs galore still on desktop applications.

On the other hand, some smart alec started to promote tiny Linux distros of i386 platform, and some drivers of 16 bit does work well. Tiny Linux reborn to work well with older laptops of PIII cpus. Which also turned out to be the same as new atom cpu. So, we shaked down slitaz 3.0 stable version and have a wonderful time using it.

There is still hope, once we get drivers classified for i686, Linux will be more bugs free. But many of the 30,000+ applications without graphics toolkit backward compatibility will be lost, blame it on progress.

2011-11-04 19:19:58

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-04 20:24:15

atang1
Administrator

Re: Linux bugs galore or software no longer works ? Why bother ?

We started to offer lists of supported cards for IBMPC here on this website. This gives Linux foundation some ideas of drivers backward compatibility features. Big companies like intel and AMD especially should be careful to make things backward compatible. Currently they are wasting cpu power to do video acceleration(FPS). It wastes power and cache memory to process low level video data. We prefer to consolidate miltilayer pictures and reduce the pixels of the transmission data.

It will take a while for Intel and Amd to realize we are now extending cga(320x240) pixels to higher resolution hdmi. VGA 640x480 extended resolution is no longer used.

The new operating systems are data transmission to ISP first. Then browser took over console(keyboard and monitor). embedded system is flash cards switching memory address functions, never have to load codes in drams.

#3 2011-11-06 04:34:09

atang1
Administrator

The trouble started with gcc compiler having bugs with library of files borrowed for dependency operation. Linux kernels had no control over the files unless it maintains all of them.

So, for many years, people used a minimum operating system based on i386 which has files shared from 8 bit to 32 bit software. Tiny Linux distros still use i386 and browser to view html webpages. Not having desktop apps help to avoid many bugs in the shared library of GCC or kernels maintained by Linux foundation. The solution is the smallest operating system has the least amount of bugs.

Then we started to move browser to become operating system once connected to the internet. This avoid more shared library of files that may create bugs. Once browsers took over the operating system, Linux kernels are no longer necessary, to run hdd, ethernet, or memory. Browser took over by using hdmi video in the console and speech commands instead of mouse and keyboard.

It took many years to see this migration coming. Just to avoid file sharing and switching, bugs galiore.

#4 2011-11-06 05:06:40

atang1
Administrator

The platform of smartphone is not a computer architecture. It is a phone structure, you have to dial to connect to the central office to be patched to another phone user. But you can add a browser to read anything the central office wants you to read? Instead of limiting to voice.

For many Linux programmers, their training is how to use file switching. Smartphones using embedded cpu only need monitor console and data transfer cpu. The data and instruction sets are totally different from ascii code preferred teletype computers. Smartphones have microphones and speaker to communicated by voice. The monitor in the console is a paperless reminder.

Once Linux is stripped down for smartphones, what is going to be left? A few firmware? NO. Better rethink in the needs of a smartphone, not a converted teletype computer. A Star Trek computer maybe the new smartphone design?  iPhone4S maybe morphed into a Star Trek computer?

Is the internet the command center of a small space ship? Its the world wide headquarters of mankind.

Adverts

Board footer