A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2010-10-17 10:57:39

Steve92

How to compile a driver ?

Hello !

I've just discovered Austrumi LIVE distrib on my Asus eee 1000H and I love it ! :)

In fact, I think it would be perfect for an old laptop (PIII-450Mhz with only 128MB RAM !!!) with a nice WiFi USB stick (Tenda W311U) based on Ralink RT3070 chipset that is not included in Austrumi 2.6.34.1 kernel. :(

I've sources of the driver from the manufacturer (Tenda) for this device and I'd like to compile them like I successfully did for other Linux distribs (Vector Linux, Antix).

First, I need some packages (gcc, kernel headers...).
But when I try to get  any package with GslApt, it always say "not enought free space !" :( under /var/slapt-get.
I changed in "Preferences" the "working directory" to '/root/slapt-get' and I get the same error though I can download hundreds of MB  in this new directory.

How can I solve this problem ??? Is it because I use a LIVE distrib ?
With other live distribs (Antix, Vector Linux) I didn't have this error.

Can I manually get the needed packages ?
What packages do I actually need to compile the driver ?
It's difficult to find the kernel sources with the exact release number 2.6.34.1 .
Can I take Slackware sources ?
I don't think so because Austrumi is Slackware based but is not exactly the same thing.

Please, could you give me a link where I could find all that stuff ?

I'm sad to think I will have to leave Austrumi because I can't compile a WiFi driver. :(

By advance, thank you for your help !

Regards,

Steve.

Last edited by Steve92 (2010-10-17 11:01:12)

2010-10-17 10:57:39

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2010-10-17 11:45:26

atang1
Administrator

Re: How to compile a driver ?

Ralink WiFi is pretty complex because of edgeQam 16/64 channels capability. But they have linux drivers. These drivers supplied by WiFi manufacturers maybe static instead of dynamic. Please take a look at the drivers and see if it needs compiling? You might do tar.gz to put it into Austrumi?

Let us know?

In general, WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n are fallback drivers. New linux kernels(2.6.34.1) included the drivers(Ralink? needs to google) for dhcpcd 5.x to install. dhcpcd 1.3 uses selection of modules to do most of the WiFi drivers. Since its now in the kernels, you might be able to do /g drivers instead of /n, if your hotspot only has /g capability.

In other words, the drivers are in the kernels, not Austrumi specific. You can use any Ralink drivers for that kernel version?

#3 2010-10-17 14:22:56

Steve92

Hello Antag1 !

Thanks for this quick answer.

Alas, Ralink drivers do need to be compiled.
I spent many hours investigating this problem for the first light distribs I tested (Vector Linux, Antix).

See US Tenda website :

http://tendausa.com/Products/WirelessAd … fault.aspx

where, by clicking on "W311U Linux Driver" you get this : 2009_1110_RT3070_Linux_STA_v2.1.2.0.tar.bz2

After a few "do it yourself", my Wifi USB stick works fine with PartedMagic (Linux kernel 2.6.34.1, same as Austrumi) so I tried to use its rt2870sta.ko module in Austrumi.
But when I type :

$ insmod rt2870sta.ko
=> invalid module format !

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter
$ iwconfig
lo          no wireless extensions.
eth0      no wireless extensions.

So, I really need to find a solution to compile this driver under Austrumi LIVE or find somebody who already did the work...

You can now understand why I ask so many questions in my 1st post and I hope you 'll bring answers. ;)

Regards,

Steve.

Last edited by Steve92 (2010-10-17 14:23:33)

#4 2010-10-20 07:27:30

atang1
Administrator

You have several problems. The module format of .ko, the bus001 being eth0 did not have WiFi drivers as extension; but Austrumi did identify the Ralink device connected to bus001.

So, you have to look at the other WiFi drivers and see if Austrumi driver files can show you the module format difference(tar.gz or tar.bz2; partedmagic partition or Austrumi Live has no partitions). Once driver is installed, eth0 will be connected.

Have fun.

#5 2010-10-24 21:32:10

Steve92

Hello!

I go back to the initial questions of this post:

How can I compile a Ralink driver in Austrumi ?
What packages (exact names, please) do I need (gcc, kernel sources...) ?
Where can I get them ?

Is it actually impossible to do that with Austrumi like I did it with other light Linux distribs (Vector Linux, Antix) ???

I'm a little bit disappointed... :(

I'm typing this post from Austrumi on my Asus eee 1000H and it works very fine but I'd really like to make it work on an old laptop with external wireless USB stick. 

Well, if it's impossible now, perhaps I can have the hope it will be in next Austrumi release, embending the rt3070 driver ?

Regards,

Steve.

Adverts

Board footer