Unofficial Austrumi Linux for English users forum golf & dvd

A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2010-07-11 10:16:15

atang1
Administrator

Walmart Lycoris computer uses Lupu Puppy and Austrumi ?

I had this Walmart Lycoris computer(EPI-V motherboard) for many years. It has Via C7 800 mhz cpu, 128 mB p133 and 10 gB hdd plus a few more USB ports. I got some p133 256 mB memory and Lycoris ran into mod not load problem. So, I tried livecd Lupu Puppy with 512 mB of memory, And it has only one problem, trying to write on cdrw with the cdrom in the computer. I have to change the cdrom to dvdrw to keep config for this computer in my livecd before shutdown. The computer has no front panel power on switch. It has to shutdown the power supply by its own switch in the back of the computer. So, I don't expect that Puppy software shut down is going to be more than asleep solution, and keep all the dram data fresh and ready to be instant on using keyboard or mouse input to resume?

Austrumi 2.1.0 works fine, but we need internal PCTEL modem to get on the internet. No wireless on the computer, but USB Wifi can be used.

Lycoris with kernel 2.4.20 was ok, and had game pack which I later bought for $1. It was never really polished. Some GUI functions were never made to work in control panel, just barely enough to do desktop, games and get on the internet. It will take a lot of work to bring it to kernel 2.6.34/35 without using Puppy livecd or Austrumi livecd.

If you see the fan and heatsink on the Via C7, you will realize how small the cpu is. Its 32 bit risc with branch prediction and 586 features. Its fast sweetspot is the wait state between cpu frequency and P133 cl3 memory synchronization. So much for that and a larger L2 cache than normal 586s.

So its fun to look at the cheapest Walmart computer(only one PCI slot occupied by Pctel modem) that was available, saving money on a front panel power on switch even. But it has 4 USB connectors to make up for modernization. And its green using Via C7 cpu. So, I am going to play with it on Livecds(doing instant on from sleep) that I have on hand. Adding mostly USB devices. MicroSD can sure save electricity, taking out the hdd and cdrom altogether.

Is it the IBM mainframe computer design in the making? No quite, but close to it; and better than IBM 370 that Gene Amdahl ever made with USB3.0 coming.

Linux livecd on USB microSD can make it still fun(microsecond instant on with smaller LCD screen) to get on the internet doing cloud computing business transactions for financial gains.

2010-07-11 10:16:15

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2010-07-11 11:14:46

atang1
Administrator

Re: Walmart Lycoris computer uses Lupu Puppy and Austrumi ?

If you strip off hdd, cdrom, and ddr or sdram, You will only use USB devices, such as microSD memory with its own sram and dand data compressed storage.

The Linux kernel previously uses scsi then USB emulation will need to be streamlined in Linux world. A number of buses will have to be eliminated such as north and south bridge of PCI/e, AGP, ISA, serial and parallel ports. Not to mention floppy bus, ide(pata sata), PS/2, etc.

The emphasis will be adding multicores and multicache crossbar switching in posix packets(software hard deterministic realtime kernel) thru USB bus, adding 500edgeQam channels for data transmission in USB3.0. So, the fun begins.

#3 2010-07-11 16:26:30

atang1
Administrator

First, Austrmi can not boot Via C7 cpu(586). SliTaz works fine, extremely fast on Via c7 and has a similar install script used by kernel 2.4.20, but need broadband wireless service to get on the net. Puppy works fine but several internal modems can not be detected. So, I had to use an external 56k modem. Downloading browsers are too slow. Once you start download bit torrent, you can not do anything else unless reboot after power off. This is now typical internet experience, bit torrent lock up internet data transfer. Until browsers can break bit torrent lock, we must download after midnight only.

Currently, Austrumi is i686. and maybe limited to X86 platform only. So, will austrumi boot on Android or its tablets ever, I don't know.

Puppy, however, can do external modem like the austrumi ppconfig in the old days, which gives more older computers a chance to stay on the net. Internal modem is tricky. Lycoris had many modem drivers in /dev/modem, but only pctel is ttyS15 to use firmware and driver thru ttyS0 on the Walmart Lycoris computer.

Puppy html viewer used as browser is entirely satisfactory with Yahoo and Twitter. Most webpages are ansi color and html4 based. If Twitter thumbnails of pictures loaded on your browser, its enough of codes to do cloud computing. The common fallacy is to use too many links and bit torrent locked exclusiveness has to change to webpage data compressed video and the entire video page transfer in one frame.

So, we move on, to strip off more hardware to use more USB devices. to move data from one USB device to another, means window manager has to do drag and drop of files. Most simple window manager fails to take care of file manager tasks. You have to use file manager to transfer files?

#4 2010-07-12 08:51:33

atang1
Administrator

Puppy Lupu 5.01 continues to teach about Linux in many different ways. Remastering with 512 mB of drams can do a not customized or bloated copy of Puppy livecd from what is in the dram memory. If you have 1 gB then a FAT copy of Puppy for sure? Pburn still developing has some disk recording features not yet explained correctly on why it can not blank rw disks. After blank or erase, what can you read from the disk? A bitmap will do. Internal modem has not yet been worked out to be detected on boot, because firmware was not tied to Plug and play 4 digit numbers, then drivers can be installed? Alsa can detect less popular sound cards but no driver bank or repository to fetch compatible drivers. These are the cause of self taught Linux open source, without IBMPC handbook to guide on hardware design features. In the end Puppy will self invent autoupdate on errors during boot(no drivers) to search Google in Puppy html browser(on error resulting in script)? Then fetch and install and report errors to repository forum. Puppy html browser is quite useful without the extra plug-ins, because of the understanding of html webpage is mostly Ansi colors and jpeg for thumbnails to be zoomed.

So, we had quite a journey in using Puppy. Teaching Linux means too much explainations of what to do. But some technicle words are not used to simplify the explanation. Erase for blank rw disks. Remastering customizing needs examples of adding plug-in files or not? Many drivers not used can even be left out? In the end, stripped down operating system has less bugs. Universal drivers are more compatible? Open standards such as Mpeg4/h.264(ansi colors, zoomable fonts with not much curvature, mjpeg and mp3) make browsers easy to write?

Puppy needs professional technical writers in the next step of development to teach Linux as well as perform daily tasks with open standards(compressed data transfer)?

#5 2010-07-18 10:30:17

atang1
Administrator

Barry Kauler is my friend. His Puppy has a major direction of development to go from tiny to enterprise capability. But needs to rethink dependency library. Which should have three steps, Pet apps library for tiny version that stay tiny without much bugs. Midi version stays midi that satisfies some. Then enterprise version with the largest library such as in Suse(slackware).  Without set library for each size of the distro, Barry will burnout learning bugs galore. As it is, each day new scripts just create more messy logic that does not fit in with midi or enterprise distros.

We have to start with tinycore or SliTaz to see what library to avoid bugs. Then use static apps without library dependency, one app at a time. Then enterprise version can be built from tiny distros. Puppy distro needs to rethink migration paths to expand apps?

What I am saying is that open source upto a point just create bugs of missing bindings and black listed symlinks. Apps had to aviod open source to stay standalone(static binary coding) for bug free operation.

#6 2010-07-21 14:39:57

atang1
Administrator

Coming back to the Via motherboard and stripped down computer architecture, Puppy can get on internet and worked extremely well with the text browser. This is due to the open standards of mpeg4/h.264. No website and webpage can not be displayed.

With gxine, however, the via sound card is not detected and alsa installed, so video is played but no sound. I have to look into the sound problems and if on shut down that Puppy can install the correct drivers for via sound card?

Otherwise, it seems that Puppy works. I can use it with external modem. Is it as fast as SliTaz, no. SliTaz stripped down for stripped down computers, Puppy tries to give people choices to install more apps. Sometimes choices of apps can only be so much, bare minimum maybe enough for most of us doing cloud computing and banking online.

So, the task is to see if Puppy text browser encryption(SSL2.0,SSL3.0 or TLS1.0) can do banking online by text(cellphone account) next with stripped down Via motherboard?

#7 2010-07-23 18:39:45

atang1
Administrator

Indians announced a $35 tablet design based on cpu, 2 gB storage, USB and touch screen with WiFi/n? The bill of material puts it near $35, labor cost in India is cheap. Its feasible.

We have stripped down Via motherboard to cpu, sdram and DVD with external modem using Puppy. Then if we stripped down DVD and use a USB microSD, we can bypass sdram, leave the slots empty. Some kernel strip down is necessary to use only USB nand MicroSD. Will Puppy or austrumi do it? Probably SliTaz and Tinycore will make the move to run tablets(cpu, nand flash, WiFi/n, and touch screen on USB)?

Where will Android 2.0/3.0 be, if SliTaz took over the tablets?

Adverts

Board footer