Unofficial Austrumi Linux for English users forum golf & dvd

A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2010-01-18 03:57:01

georger

Surefire right way to install Austrumi 1.8.5 the first time?

I visited my brother-in-law this evening. He likes Ubuntu. When I brought the USB stick upon which I have installed Austrumi 1.8.5 and booted his computer with it, he was very impressed!

He asked me to install Austrumi on his computer (to overwrite Ubuntu). I tried to do this from the USB installation. But all that happened was (after several failed attempts with error messages) the hard drive was reformatted. No Austrumi installation occurred on the hard drive.

I tried several times to either use the existing partitions or to reformat. Each time I was greeted with some vague error message in a popup window. It was very frustrating.

I left the USB stick with my brother in law, he can run Austrumi and get comfortable with it, see how well he likes it, and if I can get better advice to ensure proper installation the first time, then sometime this week I can install it from the USB stick.

Must I install ONLY from a CD boot? Or may I install from the bootable USB stick? What are the best settings for the installer?

Thanks,
geo in Canada

PS: I'm not a programmer, I'm not comfortable in the command-line of Linux because I don't work with it often, so I would prefer a solution within the graphical environment please.

Last edited by georger (2010-01-18 04:06:38)

2010-01-18 03:57:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2010-01-19 08:47:59

atang1
Administrator

Re: Surefire right way to install Austrumi 1.8.5 the first time?

Austrumi has hdinstall program with lilo to dual boot windows operating system.

The new Ubuntu uses grub2, which installs Ubuntu then grub in Ubuntu will boot windows or other Linux OS. It does not work with Austrumi unless grub2 is done for austrumi and then install the iso.

Are you familiar with Grub2.

Now that you reformated the hdd. You can boot austrumi then use hdinstall to install austrumi. the latest version is 1.9.5 which is for USB boot.

#3 2010-01-19 13:42:45

georger

Thanks.

I went by brother-in-law's house last night and this time I brought my CDs with me.

When I tried to install from the USB stick, it was not successful. But when I boot from the CD, then the CD is ejected.....then when I go to install I think I must put the CD back in - that was the right thing!

Now it installed correctly the first time! Without putting the CD back in, there are nothing but error messages happening!

Brother-in-law likes 1.8.5 Austrumi. I tried installing 1.9.5 (I think? Or 1.9.4?) and it did install in Latvian language!! Oh boy, I didn't like that because we couldn't do anything, so I put 1.8.5. on his computer and he prefers that! It's a nice user interface, clean and simple.

I also found 2.0.0 Austrumi and I put it on CD - but it boots into Latvian language, so I didn't use that.

He will try using Austrumi 1.8.5 for a few days to see how he likes it. If he doesn't like it, I have other CDs from other distributions of Linux which he may try.

Thanks again,
geo in Canada

Last edited by georger (2010-01-19 13:50:08)

#4 2010-01-19 18:30:09

atang1
Administrator

Andrejs put up the test version of 2.0.0  Jan 18, 2010.

ftp://austrumi.ru.lv/test/austrumi-2.0.0.iso

Have fun.

If you need some special features, such as cheat codes, let andrejs know here? Cheat codes are the most efficient ways to get your booted version quickly.

#5 2010-01-31 09:29:34

atang1
Administrator

If you need english version, try Austrumi v1.9.4.

If you need dialup modem, you have to install ppconfig, making sure that kernel 2.6.31 or later, has no cirrus.fb, and install /dev/tty1-4 in initramfs? Or use one of the older Austrumi with a full kernel which included all serial ports.

#6 2010-01-31 11:21:01

georger

It's ok, problem is solved. Thank you.

Adverts

Board footer