Latvian and English language Linux operating system

2006-03-30 23:26:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2006-03-30 23:40:11

atang1
Administrator

Re: Austrumi Linux OS

Please post your suggestions to make Austrumi easier to use or add features that you desire?

#3 2009-08-12 23:54:50

zoltan

Hi,

Well, here is several suggestions:

- Make more resolution support for notebooks, up to HD - for example: 1280x800 is missing, (there are ??? inside at setup)
- Multiple monitor setup possibility
- Support for xbindkeys - for mouse-less usage
- More wifi / network feedback at desktop (simple network monitoring)
- Custom wallpaper addition/download possibility from right click menu
- Maybe drop EmelFm2's ugly outfit, change to more nicer what fits more better into the desktop design (not sure, perhaps: pcmanfm, xfe serves better)
- There are no direct decompressing possibility from archives - you must to add zip, unrar with gslapt, and assigned app to browser (xarchiver could be perfect)
- Maybe add mtpaint - not so feature rich as gimp, but it could make screenshots also, and edit it directly, and much smaller.
- Maybe add Meiga to the CD: http://meiga.igalia.com/
- Add somekind of PIM app to Office section. (Strongest, smallest combo is OSMO from here: http://clay.ll.pl/osmo - http://sourceforge.net/projects/osmo-pim/files/)
- Add xpdf or ePDFview for pdf viewing.

Thanks,

thats all.

Zoltan

Last edited by zoltan (2009-08-13 01:10:24)

#4 2009-08-13 08:19:49

atang1
Administrator

Very good suggestions(keep it up) for the next Austrumi version which should be due later this year.

Thanks,

Arthur

#5 2009-08-13 21:30:50

zoltan

Hi,

Well, after brainstorming - I felt some things I have missed out from the list:

- the office section needs somekind of synchronizing application - with syncML, (according to OSMO, witch has support to it)
- I think better to drop gpicview, because of gthumb - not much bigger, but it could directly import pictures from almost any cams.
- Also good suggestions I think photorec, and testdisk.
Both tools could restore damaged, or loosed data from flash cards, and even handy if you got SSD.
- Put together easily creatable/presetable system profiles (including language, keyboard) and with that good separated desktop outfit to netbooks (outfit like PUD linux), just for media center mode (another desktop outfit), or desktop mode, server mode, or just kiosk mode - and so on... Each profile has its own ordered shortened default menu, and just re-colorised outfit - if possible. The profile chooser could be similar as the graphical language selector. With that, you will get very versatile and handy distro for almost any purpose.
- Use language selection and resolution pre-setup at boot - similarly as Ubuntu, and kick out from direct boot menu, if possible.

- Also good suggestion I think adding some security, forensics tools, and antivirus tools (like clamAV,  or aimage - advanced disk imaging tool (as like gddrescue); Autopsy (GUI of Sleuth Kit) - open source digital investigation forensics tools; chkrootkit - determine whether system is infected with a rootkit, or even FSArchiver at http://www.fsarchiver.org/Main_Page)

- If it's possible use for CD/DVD/Blueray writing the simple and fast program called Recorder from Google Code. I knew, there is Burnbox, but this app could do many more things if its implemented. Check here: http://code.google.com/p/recorder/
- If it's possible, I think better choice to use Midori as default browser, because of it's size, however I know Firefox more widely used, and expandable, but not with crazy unstable version, Minefield. i think than anythng is better than that. Midori, or even Flock could fill this position. :)

Thats all,

Zoltan

Last edited by zoltan (2009-08-21 05:56:19)

#6 2009-08-13 22:55:18

zoltan

Uh, one more thing for xbindkeys:

I have tried out Crunchbang, and there I saw great solution of system handling.
Like:
- Super key (mostly windows logo on it) plus U = System automatically refreshing the repo's, and searches for updates - when finished, just asks that " Do you really want to upgrade all packs".... Couldn't be simplier.
Similarly, I think we could command the whole austrumi linux, if it's predefine some keys....for maintaining, setup (Austrumi Control Center?), or using Fxx keys.

See you,

Zoltan

Last edited by zoltan (2009-08-21 05:58:55)

#7 2009-08-25 15:18:53

zoltan

I have noticed the burnbox, and similarly gtk-dialog used apps not following the style of Fvwm. Is it changeable?

#8 2009-08-25 19:38:16

atang1
Administrator

Fvwm uses foobar.

Austrumui had changed many window managers, and because of multi language, sometimes GUIs are not revised to form or follow any continuous theme?

It will take time to polish the distro, and its been four/five years since the beginning of the distro; just to bring Linux technology(kernel 2.6.30) into austrumi first and foremost.

Over the years, Andrejs lost many websitees and webpages on austrumi. We hope to keep this one alive for English version users.

#9 2009-08-28 07:37:37

zoltan

Atang, did I wrote something bad? I know that to develop an feature needs lot of time. These are only suggestions... By the way, Andrejs wants to shut down this site?

#10 2009-08-28 09:21:32

atang1
Administrator

I have many Latvian friends including Victor Sils, and some worked for me at my semiconductor company. So, andrejs will not want to shut down this site. I was the one to ask for ppconfig, to help him get lots of users with dialup modem. some request here gets on the new Austrumi version. While Latvians do not like criticism, they appreciate improvements. Themes are difficult to maintain with multi languages, and anti-aliasing software.

Slackers/austrumi is down. ru.lv ftp comes and goes. English version has to be supported. We are now learning how directories have no file found bugs? Protocol of austrumi is different just like all other distros.

Your suggestions are fine, but it takes many years to debug kernel problems and GUIs let alone Linux commands no longer supported in new kernels by shifting GCC into another directory just for gslapt.

#11 2011-04-04 06:06:21

jhon

I find it difficult to add comments in the presence of praising comments. But one thing for sure the Post's awesome.

#12 2011-04-07 10:34:05

atang1
Administrator

The future of Linux is based on kernels adapting to the internet data transmission system(edgeQam RF/IF channels). Simultaneous massive data processing(fell over to free or virtual cpus on websiteswith ondemand servers). Wireless connectivity to every computer available online in this world.

If this has to start with Linus, it will never be done. If this has to start with old protocol, it will never be done. If austrumi os is still desktop oriented, it will never be done. If data center do not have customer list, where do you find customers to do commerce?

So, Austrumi has to connect WiFi on boot. Work desktop apps(HP webOS is coming with middleware like SAP) into browser workspace. And in no time at all, Austrumi will be as good as Androidv5.3 and beyond.

Footnote:
SAP software is basically writing programming using high level design language to work with database by data mining and executing wishful instructions. I taught their salesman at a Boston exhibition, back in 1995. New HP CEO is from SAP.

If you want to do some business, you can tell your iPhone to sell some laptops. It will find the classified to list your laptop for sell, then collect money in your bank, and list some more laptops your have for sale. These software will be found at Apple apps store(over 100,000 apps) to be used in sequential activity. Does it sound like Linux file switching scheme with dependency library. That is what SAP software does, you can do it too. SAP wants to do for you whatever you want or whatever you don't want on your computer.

#13 2011-08-18 11:18:48

atang1
Administrator

Nowadays, the communications of computers are more dependent on WiFi.

Austrumi has netmanager to dhcp and get ip address for connection.

What Austrumi needs, is the drivers for WiFi needs more info. Once the drivers are tied to a model number, we can find the WiFi device usable by Austrumi. Then more computers can use WiFi with Austrumi.

#14 2011-09-23 08:24:44

atang1
Administrator

Austrumi as usual has the latest kernel 2.6.39.3 which has left out multi data channel cache for WiFi /n features. Have to roll back to /g to use Wifi.

However, if you use WiFi and broadcom 4318, you can download Austrumi 2.3.0 which works perfectly. Select Wlan0 in net manager and click on dhcp after selecting gateway router. to connect.

Austrumi 2.4.0 may work better with Intel Wifi in kernel 2.6.39.3.

#15 2012-05-05 13:33:20

atang1
Administrator

When we started to rejuvenate old laptops, we discovered the secrets of long term supported Linux distros.

RedHat and Centos had always knew the secret of their success. Old equipment with old operating system(RHEL 5.0). Any software after 5 years of service, all the bugs can be ironed out on older equipment.

It did not take a rocket scientist to find out why Linux can be used on servers(not much components and drivers).

Why older operating systems worked well with old laptops. Ubuntu 8.04 is wonderful with its update system.  SliTaz 3.0 liveCD can be workable on older laptops with its older kernels.

Austrumi with its latest kernels, can only be used on newer equipment(too costly to use a tiny OS). But still maybe a good candidate for server applications?

Adverts

Board footer