Unofficial Austrumi Linux for English users forum golf & dvd

A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-10-21 20:21:52

atang1
Administrator

Tuxmachines for sale ? I was there to build it up ? Rebuild how ?

Years ago, Tuxmachines.org by Susan Linton was the place people goto find out about new distros with eyecandy desktop apps?

It had many small distros that can be used for older computers.

I helped it get listed by google, yahoo and MSN, and it took off(many visitors and distro founders were active on the site).

Then a few years ago, I saw the shift in technology from linux(eyecandy) and open source and stopped being active on the site.

Susan followed the desktop development and Tuxmachine started to lose users. Not many people can afford the new computers. Not many linux distros can support older computers. Linux users dwindled. Ubuntu tried to outdo graphics on their distro. And the result was many distros had to learn the Ubuntu way.

Now, users are so few that comments are far and few between. No one offered any opposing views. PC is dead.

On unofficial Austrumi, older laptops are being revived by wifi even remote wifi. There are more older computers in use than newer ones, how to rebuild Tuxmachines is to offered more news for older computer owners to follow.

2013-10-21 20:21:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-10-21 21:08:21

atang1
Administrator

Re: Tuxmachines for sale ? I was there to build it up ? Rebuild how ?

Years ago, DistroWatch is popular based on its ranking of distro popularity. Who is number one to number ten is important news for Linux users.

Today, that popularity list is gone, by choice of DistroWatch users. Details of any new version of Linux is now the attraction. And maybe interviews of leaders of linux projects to see how open source can survive just doing desktop eyecandy? Every one Linux do the same kernels(386-986) and drivers. Then browsers took over.

New browse operating system not using hdd, is mostly USB connections(flash nand file system and wifi).

DistroWatch may go the same way as Tuxmachines.org.

Many distros are still on 486/586 to be usable on older computers. Just have to update browser and wifi drivers; ARM for ascii code data compression.

#3 2013-10-22 10:04:58

atang1
Administrator

Linux needed a site to tell people which distro works on what computer or laptop. Save thousands of hours shaking down operating system that needed learning how to solve software problems.

People think Linux is cheap, but the time you need to spend on linux to get it working is too expensive, or may end up going back to WinXP sp3 or W2k sp4 which works with many brands and models of computers.

Linux had too many distros because of open source. Each linux distro often only works on the same type of computer that distro founder uses. If you use another brand or model, you waste your time putting some distro on your computer. If distro founder tells you what computer he uses it will save every one time to get the linux distro working. Microsoft operating system is installed on every brand and model, so it works with all the older computers for sure; on the new computer you may wait for sp3 or sp4 versions in couple of years.

Linus is now complaining Fedora19 uses their old kernels(open source decisions), so that wifi can not be recognized and working while you boot like Microsoft OS updates lately.

#4 2013-10-22 17:31:49

atang1
Administrator

LinuxQuestions.org was visited by me back in 2008. And I posted on Feathers Linux in 2004.

The forums have changed. Its mostly linux in general, not distro specific anymore.

Jeremy still runs it with an iron hand. But Linux flock still mostly newbies. coming to look for news.

Linux Questions are not really linux specifically helpful to use Linux operating system. Times have changed.

Android has a forum.

#5 2013-10-23 15:23:02

atang1
Administrator

Finally, linus  realized wifi makes Linux work on the internet; he criticized Fedora19 for using older cpus on computers and not newer kernels which boot with wifi on.

This is juicy reading of linux news. It shows open source making wrong decisions out of ignorance. Still thinking desktop offline is all people needed for the future.

#6 2013-10-24 09:46:52

atang1
Administrator

Tuxmachines.org was missing hardware news except a few boutique shops and their offer of preinstalled linux operating system. More interesting perhaps will be what the distro developers use for testing linux?

I did a shake down of slitaz(386) 3.0 stable, used many brands and models of laptops and wifi pc-cards. You can find it on this website.

Linux distros(486/586) often can do PII-P4 computers/laptops. If 686, and PAE, You have to use hardware that is made after P4.

#7 2013-10-25 16:22:37

atang1
Administrator

Siliconinvestor.com send users a message of the changes we can expect to make more money for the website.

In the old days people build up a website with large number of members and often sold the site for $300 million. Robertson and shuttlewrth both did it. Today, with bigdata webpage efficiency, it is not as easy to build up membership and get the clicks to pay for the advertizing income.

Many websites lost their lusters because of smart phones and speed dialing. Good ideas for websites are difficult to do; Facebook is a success. Each member of facebook can have millions of friends. Although I use it for private cloud for my own family.

#8 2013-10-25 19:45:28

atang1
Administrator

I used to be very active on motherboards.org many years ago. Now its run by channelproreview. Nothing much  deep or technical to read on the website.

Motherboard business had been different  in the old days, when people build their own desktop. people needed info to build good desktops. Since i3 cpu, its been decline all the way from building your own. Partly because operating system is still Win7(sold by Dell today).

I had tried to get distro founders to do their own review on Tuxmachines to look at their features.

#9 2013-10-26 08:03:22

atang1
Administrator

For IBMPC, the computers are still usable on the internet. Old operating system with browser(also old) can still read webpages. This means websites has to maintain reviews of older computers and operating systems to make them useful. Shake them down and show ways of using older equipment.

Most websites only think new ones are important; then there should be no interest in antiques. But antiques are important in our lives.

#10 2013-10-26 09:51:30

atang1
Administrator

The old days at Tuxmachines.org? To build up a site to promote tiny Linux. I am still promoting austrumi a tiny Linux that can switch languages. Tiny Linux make bigdata webpages easy with a simple browser and wifi speed dial. But multi-lingual Linux operating system has no competition.

While websites can do general purpose information distribution, it can be obsoleted by technology. Special purpose websites may have a longer life. Tiny Linux like Austrumi will survive because of its architecture of multi-lingual. Each language has its own file system by clicking on a flag(language).

Most people not using Austrumi, because they are not multi-lingual. When you need multi-lingual for your computer, Austrumi is the only one not limited to any single language.

I also spend some time shaking down slitaz for old computers. Slitaz 3.0 stable with dlink dwa642 can boot right into wifi internet. Austrumi wifi can also use dlink dwa642 pc-card.

#11 2013-10-28 15:37:17

atang1
Administrator

Website hosting is easier today than in the old days. Its subdomain for free. And if you have a server to do webpages, you can use cable modem for wifi.

To buy Tuxmachines.org, you have to do your own hosting and be familiar with the software and news feeds coming in. You are buying a lot of work to do unless Susan can hold your hands. You have to offer susan a job to rebuild Tuxmachines.org.

Then you might add your own hard work to give it more linux space for people to learn open source programming. Linux websites is mostly for newbies to learn how to use Linux distro. I learned the easiest way is to reload the distro if file system gets corrupted. That's why I like livecd. You reload it everytime you use livecd.

The secret of using Linux?

#12 2013-11-01 07:42:59

atang1
Administrator

Tuxmachines.org is quiet, new owner is not rebuilding it and susan stopped owning it.

Tuxmachines.org was a bigdata summary webpage of the linux operating system. It may die from lack of linux news because it does not do competitors such as OsX or windows.

Many users left Linux to use windows or moble devices. Linux took too much work to adopt any distro that you do not have the same computers.

#13 2013-11-05 20:58:19

atang1
Administrator

Tuxmachines.org may try to revive by doing some howto linux way blogs.

In the past, it is news gathering, for newbies to know what new linux distro is available.

But bigdata webpages got newbies to games and social networks and online banking and stock investment.

So, even distrowatch got criticized for not matching reviews with computer specifications(meaning others trying the OS reviewed may not get it working on their own computer hardware).

Its tough working with linux without paid help(redhat, suse etc.). But technology moved to phones even cableTV has 3/4 of them do ipTV by phones.

#14 2013-11-07 09:53:14

atang1
Administrator

Tuxmachines.org has removed most of the old comments and forums. Whatever I wrote is all gone.

The new owner will get a cleaned up website.

I just realized that Pclos is current with 2013 releases. Tuxmachines did not keep up with all the developments since 2009. New owner has to keep newbies informed of all the distros.

#15 2013-11-08 19:22:54

atang1
Administrator

Dr. Roy Schestowitz(medical degree), manchester, England, is the new owner of Tuxmachines.org. He will do fine, since there was a time that he tried to imitate tuxmachines. He might try to push his own ideas, then we know, he had problems with Novell.

In the next few weeks, we will know how Tuxmachines.org will survive?

Strange that Roy has not posted on Tuxmachines.org yet?

However once he posted his opinions, his news is his ideas, not really interesting. Tuxmachines changes to only his opinions. Can it be rebuild with graphics eyecandy?

#16 2013-11-10 09:10:09

atang1
Administrator

A few old users commented "thanks" to susan; Roy got a few individual linux news on, but not yet left overs and odds and ends.

Owning a website is not the same thing running it to be successful.

Linux news is not dropping big names of philosophy. Every linux news looked like Roy wrote it.

#17 2013-11-11 19:49:44

atang1
Administrator

Linux news is scarce; Susan had troubles keeping up with her rss feeds. Roy is trying hard to add at Tuxmachines. He learned graphics caused layout format problems.

He bought the site to blow his own horn. But his willingness to learn how to summarize news will eventually get success. One user told him off on changing the site, that he was not even aware of.

PC is dead, so is Linux will be hard to take.

#18 2013-11-12 10:52:15

atang1
Administrator

Tuxmachines' ads are gone. No one to click them. Donation are still accepted.

This may be related to the truth of number of visitors estimated(now +82 or +72), users are so few that has to be accurate. When you reload the webpage and visitor number does not change, that means you are the only visitor on that webpage.

Websites often add a certain number of visitors estimated because of their broadband capacity, denial of service.

Linux news is now more of wishful thinking(rumors) of possible future not news happened in the past.

#19 2013-11-16 09:59:52

atang1
Administrator

Roy stopped at the truth of linux on lenovo laptop, not working. To think IBM is supporting linux.

Linus is not able to work open source to work on bios and hardware combination of Lenovo.

Many Linux lovers had to go back to i386 backward compatibility to make linux work on most computers.

Even winXP had problems with Lenovo laptops old or new.

i386 software is like phone browser, will work with html5 or webGL.

#20 2013-11-16 21:06:40

atang1
Administrator

roy is covering more interesting linux subjects even if its his opinions and not all published news.

#21 2013-11-20 09:38:25

atang1
Administrator

Its not hard to figure out what tux machines.org news gathering is all about. Roy is less open source and more hardware. Android news is significant.

In the hay days of Tux machines, people can use the linux distros for their older computers for fun. Now most linux distros lost interest in older computers.

Now tux machines neither have OS for older computers nor have new phone apps. Not practical and useful anymore to visit and keep up with dumb news. Too few targeted audience?

#22 2013-11-24 09:19:04

atang1
Administrator

Drupal is running into users spamming, same as this website, had to stop user registration.

This happened in the last few years, when internet has increased surfers. Many new users had nothing to say but sapam. This will continue with more phone mobile users coming. Private registration in social webpage seemed to work. Most users do not have much to say but play games or do some business.

#23 2013-11-26 09:29:22

atang1
Administrator

Tux machines now have two people doing the news on FOSS and open source. Have more news than Susan had for people with nothing to read on the internet. Some old users came back to make a comment. A few new users?

But, open source can not keep up with Intel's new products. Puppy developers feel the world is closing in on them on linux development. They feel tiny puppy may have to do what slitaz did.

The trend of linux development is not likely to change much, but many newbies can not keep up or became new developer.

#24 2013-12-04 09:51:05

atang1
Administrator

Tux machines is active but the linux news is promoted for some simple philosophy that might differ from yours. It becomes hard to read advertizing.

#25 2013-12-10 16:00:33

atang1
Administrator

Maybe the way marketing android, chomebook and linux computers tell a story? Internet is free, open source is free, linux is free, gnu is free, and tux machines s free. Why as a web site Tux machines is not being read?

What do people want from linux or tux machines?

Linux is used for business free. Its complexity protects the software from corruption and competition. Not to be revealed on Tux machines for sure.

Adverts

Board footer