Unofficial Austrumi Linux for English users forum golf & dvd

A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-05-18 02:16:42

Austrumiusb

usb sound

Could you please include the module snd-usb-audio in the next version and possible a PREEMPT kernel, or real time kernel or low latency kernel please.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. … -usb-audio

thanks.

2012-05-18 02:16:42

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-05-18 07:19:13

atang1
Administrator

Re: usb sound

Austrumi sound alsa is in the kernel already.

Realtime kernel is using posix packets, hal and dbus., Hard realtime has to define the data channels.

#3 2012-05-18 14:52:51

Austrumiusb

atang1 wrote:

Austrumi sound alsa is in the kernel already.

Realtime kernel is using posix packets, hal and dbus., Hard realtime has to define the data channels.

atang1,

my usb sound card will not work because the module snd-usb-audio  is missing you did not compile that module when you built Austrumi.

root@localhost~# modprobe snd-usb-audio
FATAL: Module snd_usb_audio not found.

Could you please make sure you include it in the next version you make, I am trying myself to recompile the kernel and then build alsa driver from source but not so much luck at the moment.

#4 2012-05-18 16:45:21

atang1
Administrator

Austrumi Alsa drivers are in the kernel. USB sound cards are not included. If you need USB drivers, you might try to hot plug the sound card. USB drivers are not installed if sound card is left on the USB port during boot(kernel 2.6.x).

Linux drivers for USB devices are emulated from scsi. In kernel 2.4.x you can install the usb drivers when you boot with the usb plugged in. In kernel 2.6.x, you have to hot plug after booting Linux operating system to get USB drivers. USB devices are merely drivers on USB bus, not pci bus. This way, you don't need too many drivers.

If hot plug your external sound card can not give you drivers, then let us know which version Austrumi you are using and which brand and model external sound card you are trying to install on austrumi. Its also important to know if your computer can use the i686 kernel austrumi version is using.

#5 2012-05-18 18:28:31

Austrumiusb

Hotplugging does not work, this is the usb sound card I am trying to get to work

lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0102 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM106 Like Sound Device

I am using Austrumi 2.4.8

Last edited by Austrumiusb (2012-05-18 18:29:03)

#6 2012-05-18 21:01:44

atang1
Administrator

Thanks for the info, but its missing your computer info? Do you have an internal sound card? Device 0 in alsaconfig. Then your external sound card would be device 1. Austrumi 2.4.8 did identify your external sound card, which means you can config alsa driver to use usb external C-media sound card(cm106) but it must disable the internal sound card? Don't forget alsa mixer is default to mute, you must turn the mixer on to speakers. If you get as far as alsaconfig after hot plug, then mixer, then post your results here? Good or bad?

Austrumi is slackware based. the link you provide on you original post is for debian linux, so its not usable in austrumi. Also, austrumi uses later kernel version number than Debian kernels.

#7 2012-05-23 10:52:31

atang1
Administrator

So far, no report of success or failure of using kernels to do usb sound drivers by alsaconfig and mixer turned on.

But, it is important to know how kernels are programmed to use universal drivers for devices on different bus(pci, usb, etc.)

#8 2012-06-01 10:06:16

Austrumiusb

atang1 wrote:

Thanks for the info, but its missing your computer info? Do you have an internal sound card? Device 0 in alsaconfig. Then your external sound card would be device 1. Austrumi 2.4.8 did identify your external sound card, which means you can config alsa driver to use usb external C-media sound card(cm106) but it must disable the internal sound card? Don't forget alsa mixer is default to mute, you must turn the mixer on to speakers. If you get as far as alsaconfig after hot plug, then mixer, then post your results here? Good or bad?

Austrumi is slackware based. the link you provide on you original post is for debian linux, so its not usable in austrumi. Also, austrumi uses later kernel version number than Debian kernels.

It just won't work I am trying to rebuild alsa drivers from source but I can not install all the packages needed to rebuild alsa, because for something reason gcc is always broken and make won't work, can not create executable.

#9 2012-06-01 13:38:55

atang1
Administrator

Austrumi is slackware based. targz?

#10 2012-06-14 12:31:25

Austrumiusb

Atang1,

The iso images packages  are always corrupt, gcc is never install properly along with a lot of other problems can you fix this I really need you help to fix this.

#11 2012-06-14 13:19:08

atang1
Administrator

Well, we have to go back to Austrumi distro and version number 2.4.8. You have to know iits based on slackware packages are targz, etc. But Austrumi uses install script from Blin(Russian). The english version is translated from russian file names. You have to change the russian version to install all the packages.

That said you have to find all the russian file names before you can install packages and delete packages.

But more important is the way linux kernels run gnu library. Dependency files. Then you have to know if slackware 13.37 can run alsa on USB audio chipsets. Once you researched these tricks of trade, then we are ready to put in the drivers for USB external audio chipset, if you decided not to use alsa drivers already installed and hook it to the USB port.

Can you google Alsa drivers for USB external audio chipsets?

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=11226.0

select device1(internal) or device2(external USB)? in alsa.cofig?

#12 2012-06-14 16:35:26

Austrumiusb

atang1 wrote:

Well, we have to go back to Austrumi distro and version number 2.4.8. You have to know iits based on slackware packages are targz, etc. But Austrumi uses install script from Blin(Russian). The english version is translated from russian file names. You have to change the russian version to install all the packages.

That said you have to find all the russian file names before you can install packages and delete packages.

But more important is the way linux kernels run gnu library. Dependency files. Then you have to know if slackware 13.37 can run alsa on USB audio chipsets. Once you researched these tricks of trade, then we are ready to put in the drivers for USB external audio chipset, if you decided not to use alsa drivers already installed and hook it to the USB port.

Can you google Alsa drivers for USB external audio chipsets?

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=11226.0

select device1(internal) or device2(external USB)? in alsa.cofig?

what are you saying to do then, when I start the cd what options should I choose, how do I fix this atang, and why are the tgz packages corrupt or not being loaded. I really need to get this working atang, maybe you could make me custom cd and send it to me with certain programs that I need:)

#13 2012-06-14 17:23:15

atang1
Administrator

We have to start with some facts from you. We know you have downloaded austrumi v2.4.8. What hardware do you have to load the livecd? many older i686 cpu can not use austrumi without PAE(1 gB minimum of drams). Lets us know what you have done?

Livecd will load without any input from keyboard, if cpu and memory requirements are met..

Then lsusb will list the c-media sound card.

Then study http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Alsa-sound-4.html

In kernel 2.0 util find configuration to select external sound card? In austrumi 2.4.8 kernel 3.x, alsa drivers may be different from the slackware howto. let us know what you find?

Footnote:
Slackware is bsd, Debian is sysV unix. Then austrumi has russian file names which will have missing bindings using Linux kernels or GCC library. Until you can sort out the way everything is put together looking back in history of linux development and austrumi development, its hard to get anything special working. Most distros are only good for people who used the same hardware as the developers used. Sad but true of linux hardware compatibility issues. This forum started with Austrumi, but as you read on, I am using more of W2k and XP to keep more laptops working. Linux keeps less laptops working because of hardware compatibility issues.

Adverts

Board footer