Unofficial Austrumi Linux for English users forum golf & dvd

A Latvian and english Linux tiny operating system. used by golf & dvd lovers

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-03-04 16:57:18

atang1
Administrator

Revisit W95 and orinoco wifi ? How Firefox can do facebook bulletin ?

Recently, at ebay, won an auction of a Compaq Armada 1540DM, which is 150 mhz Pmmx cpu with only 32 mB of EDO sdrams. It has floppy, cdrom and 2 gB of hdd. A dialup modem and two pcmcia sockets for $14.95 including shipping. Interestingly, max out to 80 mB had memory faults when svga video was attempted. Had to restore to 32 mB to run the W95.

The bios is Compag f10 partition, and boots floppy then hdd. Cdrom need a floppy startup disket to boot. You can use a WinME startup disket?

Compaq laptops use data compression on the hdd, and it has two partitions. Win95 virtual memory is close to 750mb. f10 partition is 450 mB. So, it survived with a 2 gB hdd but can not replace it with Win98 or ME untill data compression is turned off on the hdd.

Armada 1540DM had no USB ports unless you can add pcmcia USB ports. But the Win95 pcmcia drivers are in two parts, first the TI controller drivers, then the card drivers had to be added. I am still looking for a wisecom GL242202-ot drivers for wireless /b pccard.

But the original Win95 has IE5.0. It can only be used for Google search website. Others had html4 problems in video data placements on the webpage. Fortunately over the years Earthlink had a copy of the IE5.5 for Win95. It works slightly, maybe with Adobe flash 9.x/8.6 could be better. I have a copy of the IE6.0sp1 from peoplePC. In it has the W95setup to help IE6.0 to work with older computers.

Of course, Austrumi needs 512 mB for the latest versions. Puppy may work down to 32 mB of ram with its own small default browser. But Windows 95 can work with limited number of websites still on text and less than 16 colors. Nice 256 colors would need more shared memory to work on Armada computers.

2011-03-04 16:57:18

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-03-04 22:27:25

atang1
Administrator

Re: Revisit W95 and orinoco wifi ? How Firefox can do facebook bulletin ?

Compaq being HP is a large company with  good engineers, so it was not a surprise to find a new driver sp9831.exe that can run 256 color on the chips and technology video chipset. C&T is very popular on many laptops of that era. So, if you use W95, you will have a nice display for IE5.5. 16 color was a horror. If you have enough Dimm, you might even do 800x600 resolution(share 1 mB or 8 mB). The driver is svga and can do 1280 resolution.

Now that it only needs maybe more Microsoft entertainment packs, you can find them too even on the Packard Bell w95 backup cd.

Now I am on the quest of GL242201-ot drivers for Wisecom wifi/b. I downloaded to find that I need instmsia.exe from microasoft. After that there are more surprises, because the sequence of making it work needs more instructions for W95.

#3 2011-03-05 17:43:40

atang1
Administrator

Fortunately, Armada has a pcmcia wlan cardbus driver 7.9 mB but needs IE6 to work the WL110. This means if it works, I can buy an orinoco(lucent) 802.11/b pcmcia card to work with the laptop. You have to either fit the hardware to the drivers available for Win95 or else nothing will work.

When you use WiFi on these Google machines, their realtime response as you type in the search wording, answers are changing? What a way to add words to see what answers are provided. after a few times reading the changes, you know howto search faster by using wording sequentially that narrows the search?

#4 2011-03-06 12:09:53

atang1
Administrator

Google instant is the rage. But it can overload their severs and also in-operative when transmission speed slows down. So far, Google instant recovered from denial of service attack fairly fast.

Google instant uses ondemand servers(packet switching) for each customer; locked connection(packet IP header as virtual private network) and synchronized atm. Data centers will never be the same anymore. Customers login and locked on synchronized atm until they leave Google instant.

Twitter and Google instant is all the cloud computing done in the future and its prospect using Wifi radio transmission is very encouraging even today. Some of the older computers can be revived to be used productively.

#5 2011-03-06 22:28:37

atang1
Administrator

Why bother with Win95 It is the only operating system(virtual memory of 750 mB) that can run with only 8 mB of drams(on text, ansi, foobar and mpeg4/h.264). With IE5.5, it can still run with 32 mB of drams. Win98 needs 24 mB without IE6. And WinME needs 32 mB without IE6.  WinXP needs 128 mB just to boot. IE6 can run upto 256 mB dram requirement due to history and 2 gB of virtual memory.

So, Earthlink with its IE5.5 and reduced pixel webpages can work some miracles. A precurser of things to come on tablets that can run battery for a whole day? WiFi will shut down radio, cpu will be shut down by input device to hibernation. And memory is in flash drives that does not need power to maintain. Computer input devices can control the way you use battery power. LCD/LED or OLED display can be small and use less power too.

Planning for the future tablet design is now underway. Microsoft is asked to revive Win95(file and .net packet switching) for tablets instead of using WinCE6 with too many packet formats.n

To think in terms of Linux, you have to roll back to 2.4.20, dhcpcdv1.3.x, and Firefox v1.0 with mpeg4/h.264. You ight survive with 64 mB of drams.

#6 2011-03-07 08:26:51

atang1
Administrator

IE 5.5 sp2 can still be downloaded(85 mB) from freewareBeast.com Feb 26, 2011. google will give you the link.

A review of IE 5.5 sp2 indicated Youtube.com will crash(html5).

But I have good Twitter.com usage on Earthlink IE 5.5.

#7 2011-03-08 08:45:38

atang1
Administrator

Unfortunately, win95 is unstable. Scandisk was not perfect and needs reinstall often. Anticrash 5.0 was neccary to save Win95 from total disaster. Same as linux file system problems of reinstall, until Knoppix came with livecd. Livecd was a reinstall every time you boot, and give you a stable distro.

Today, WinXP had been changed, no more scandisk(removed from hdd). System restore recovers from crashes. Local defrag took care of FAT32 errors from write back of cpu feature.

For Microsoft to revive Win95, it may have to strip down scandisk, and defrag FAT32 locally when cpu write back exceeded 6 segments on each file. Win95 is light except for write back corruption of ata; WinXP is too bloated with all the fixes, in contrast.

#8 2011-03-20 03:12:54

atang1
Administrator

Win95 was a problem in the days of 1998, PII MMX bios was not wuite right. Most people discovered that bios for 586 is better than 686. And I did flash Compaq Armada 1540DM to 586 bios and is running it with success.

Win95 and IE5.5 can be run with 8 mB of drams. Even with 28.8 kb modem, it is quite fast with only 32 mB of drams(60ns EDO) My copy of IE5.5 came from Earthlink the ISP. Current Adobe flash player 10.2 may work with this IE6 look alike. That can keep IE5.5 good for html5 in the future.

WiFi/b WL110 pcmcia on Win95 look like installed, but can not get the ip address from the router B.H.M.. So, some reseach still has to be done. WL110 is liike Orinoco gold with wep encription, however, hotspot is unsecured.

Not many things Win95C can not do, USB 2.0 is supported. Armada 1540DM has to use a pcmcia USB adapter.

More on Win95C and other Linux tiny distros compared. Keep in touch.

#9 2011-03-21 21:58:26

atang1
Administrator

WL110 pcmcia Wifi/b wep capable is made for armada 1540DM. The Compaq driver puts a wireless icon in control panel. And I can edit the default driver setup to residential gateway to get on free hotspot. However, dhcp is needed to get my ip address. If another WiFi unit is doing packets, WL110 can not access the router. This is probably due to the fact that in the old days home WiFi is exclusive to your home. One user is the way it works. Many users jammed up the Tx/Rx packets. I have yet to test it in the library with its routers. The hotspot router I use can only do Google webpage efficiently. Facebook require too many packets to complete a webpage. Also, pcmcia WiFi has too small an antenna which makes it very position sensitive for low signal strength Rx.

Hopefully, this has an answer in an updated WL110 drivers.

In the meantime, a quest for USB in pcmcia adaptor for W95 is needed. So far, 32 mB drams is still good for IE5.5. Found 2 port USB adaptor for pcmcia made by Dynex brand, plug and play.

#10 2011-03-22 10:13:12

atang1
Administrator

WiFi/n municipal usage maybe what I encounter, and its free where I live. When I first discovered it I got 192.168.0.6 as gateway and 192.168.0.1 as ip address. Now I am on 192.169.0.1 gateway and 192.168.0.114 as ip address. It seemed to have added many other users and ip addresses.

This apparently depends on the router and its design. Cisco router gives the best Tx/Rx service and ip address assignment. Other routers may have ip address numbers limited and everyone has to scramble for an ip address. Then crc errors forced resend inefficiency, I have experienced reduction of resend from 5:1 ratio to 2:1 ration now. My hotspot is learning from Microsoft zero configuration in their browser.

For Win95, and IE5.5, Microsoft has to have several modules to work with different routers and the way data channel works with ip address assignments for MAC addresses(28 users). How long will it take to smooth out synchronized atm and data rate assignment for more users on municipal WiFi system; maybe serveral weeks to go. Microsoft will be informed to improve all their browers for free WiFi. Mozilla and Opera will also have to work on WiFi router assignment profiles. Some very efficient small browsers will need WiFi drivers profile(router differences) editing features.

Routers should assign 1 mbps for webage with reduced pixels download rate. For iso or autoupdate download, routers should assign 54-350 mbps data rates whenever available. Since the data rates use different clock rates, data will not be jammed and corrupted. Browser can not choose routers, so it has to get the best of what the routers offer(beggers can not be choosers).

#11 2011-03-22 19:59:26

atang1
Administrator

In the days of Armada 1540DM, the bios boot manager is only floppy and hdd. In order to boot from cdrom or dvdrom, you need a boot manager in a floppy. You make a system disk(format and copy system) from My computer in Win95. Then you download sbminst.exe and another program. When you boot the floppy sbminst will make a boot manger. But you have to know that You have hdd0 and cdrom1 as hardware. So you can not boot cdrom0 in thbe boot manager, you can only boot cdrom1.

People had booted Puppy 2.15 livecd on Armada 1540dM. Using sbminst(system boot manager install) can be learned from google search. So, this make Armada capable of using livecd. Or if we can install Dynex 2 port USB cardbus adaptor to boot USB drives in a boot manager that can read USB ports and boot drives possibly in HP system management enhancement update drivers.

As you can see, this 1998 laptop can be made to work with internet of today. We still have to try Adobe9 or 10.2 for the IE5.5, someday?

#12 2011-03-23 19:34:24

atang1
Administrator

If you feel that IE5.5 is not always showing all the webpages because Adobe flash player5/6 is no longer updated by Adobe automatically.

You might try to download Firefox1.5.012. Which will install after encountering illegal operation shut down on its first try to install. After you rebooted, and launch Firefox safe mode, you can connect to google and try the search engine, then all other webpages of open source video and html protocol.

Its fun to have another browser to use. Is there some more choices? You'll have more fun I am sure searching.

#13 2011-03-25 18:09:32

atang1
Administrator

Armada 1540dm had no USB ports. But it does have pcmcia slots. Win95 has 32 bit cardbus plug and play. But the new NEC720-9 has maybe windows 2000 drivers. So, we have to try a few drivers and see if the NEC chips can be installed.

necusb2.zip was downloaded to try in win95. after that, there are several others such as usb2.zip or newusb.zip, etc. Not enough info to make judgement, except to try them out on the laptop. These pcmcia USB adaptor work in WinXP sp3 without special drivers, its plug and play. In win95 plug and play, bios found the device, then you have to install a driver because Win95c did not have the drivers for nec 720 chipset.

#14 2011-03-26 13:53:10

atang1
Administrator

A very usefull item for these old laptops are micro projectors of LED light source(infinite life). It can project and focused  to 50" screen size. Looks like well designed for small meeting and show groups of people anything your old laptops is capable of, as long as the pictures are 640x480 or even 1024x786. It can also do portable DVD, iPods and others like vcr with a composite video and audio cable(not included), which is very usefull for your consumer electronics collection.

It is connected by VGA cable(m/m). It has its own speaker, and turned on/off if you hold down for 4 seconds. No drivers needed.

We will look at other applications these old laptops can do?

#15 2011-03-27 11:24:48

atang1
Administrator

Reflection on software and hardware backward compatibility? In Linux you have i386, i486, i586 and i686 operating systems. In Windows, you have Win95, 98SE/ME and XP then Vista and Win7. You need to understand the bios that comes with the cpu? Which has to run the operating system. We have now found some laptop manufacturers rolled back bios from 1998 to 1997 version to run Win95 and Win98SE from Pentium to 586p. This defeated PentiumI/II branch prediction of 32 bit architecture. The 586p bios runs faster then the delay of 21 stage branch prediction data processing. Its stranger than fiction, but true.

So, When we run without branch prediction, 32 bit cpu is run as 8 bit cpu on each ascii code processing. Its strictly clock frequency and ascii code data compression that achieve the speed in streaming serial data transfer. SO SOME DESIGNERS OF CPU PREFER HAVING 4 SEPARATED 8 BIT CPUS IN THE SPACE OF AN 8 BIT CU(DISABLE SOME SHIFT REGISTERS BETWEEN 8 BIT CPUS).

So, I am sure that operating system will no longer be one for all, but more dedicated to the needs of data processing. Foolish to think that 8bit or 2 bit serial data streams need 64 bit or 386 bit cpu with branch prediction.

Fortunately, cpus are backward compatible, and can process 8 bit data or 2 bit data(NOT AS EFFICIENTLY) as well as 64 bit data in chunks of 8 bit or streaming serial 2 bit data(0 and 1).

#16 2011-03-31 22:16:46

atang1
Administrator

Armada 1540DM is made by HP Compaq. They use f10 for bios setup. You have to make two floppies to setup and run diagnostic on the computer. If some one wipe the disk, you have mbr error. You have to partition the disk and format it. Then use the setup disk to run and install again.

But, you need to create the second partition using the diagnostic disk first for f10. Then use the setup disk and place the operating system W95 in the cdrom to install.

f10 is used to access diagnotics on the second partition which has the disk1(to repair corrupted hdd).

Once, you know the hdd can be 8.4 gB laptop 2.5" hdd, you can install Win98sE on it but not WinXP because of the limit in EDO memory size. Originally XP needs 128 mB to install. Today, you need 512 mB to run IE8 on sp3.

IE5.5 and Firefox 1.5 are both being obsoleted by many websites except those text based. IE6 and Firefox 2.0 will soon be obsoleted too. But hopefully mpeg4/h.264 webpages can still be used by IE5.5 and Firefox 1.5.

#17 2011-04-12 09:49:01

atang1
Administrator

Speed of computers are previously emphasized in cpu and L2 cache speeds. Then ddr speeds and hdd speed. today, we are more interested in data transmission speed to and fro memory cache. This is because, the data transmitted is mpeg4/h.264. which does not require excessive computation from cpu.

The reasoning is that people are slow to read the data displayed on the screen. So there is plenty of time to process data transmitted from far away websites. VGA is slower than pixel scanning video displays.

For older computers with slow cpu, small dram size, and small hdd; internet cloud computing will make these older computer quite usable, if you have at least 1 or 2 mbps data transfer speed. Most older laptops also have video output s-video connector for pixel scanning displays.

#18 2011-04-12 20:35:30

atang1
Administrator

Win95 can not use Firefox 2.0.20, kernel32 commits fatal error. Firefox 2.0 can be used with WinME. firefox 1.5.x can be used by Win95 after restarting a few times to fix registry entries.

MOSAIC 3.0 can not be used with Win95 or WinXP.

This leaves only IE5.5 earthlink with their Macromedia flash. It also needs Javascript of some sort(Java). These programs should be installed in the operating system, not IE5.5.

#19 2011-09-14 20:58:32

atang1
Administrator

Win95 can still do IE5.5, except it can not keep up with the latest internet protocol.

So, here comes ace explorer to the rescue. ACE is a skin, but now can render html language(even if not fully compatible with active-x directories enables it), updating IE5.5 from only foobar. Adobe flash player 10.3 may improve further.

acesetup.exe is only 1.2 mB, but you need IE5.5(sp2) installed from old earthlink free cd(file name msie55sp2). to replace IE4.

I seem to remember that ace can also change packet size to speed up IE5.5 webpage download by reducing overhead ratio of the packet header to content size per packet.

Ace explorer can do translation to English for foreign webpages. Ace can do zoom in and zoom out.

#20 2011-09-24 11:09:06

atang1
Administrator

Does Win95 need to use Window explorer to drag and drop on dvdrw? Yes, but windows9 only need to drag and drop files to USB key.

Windows9 need not do IBMPC architecture. It does need a bios for consumer electronics tablets. Embedded architecture often does not have centralized bios for easy apps addition. However, disk operating system bios is now memory banks system bios for flash memory data storage. It needs rotation of data allocations to extend mtbf of flash transistors(life of 100,000 write/erase cycles).

Windows9 also has only hdmi video system, which uses mpeg4/h.264 data transfer/ Only one video protocol.

Dialup modem is still used to backup WiFi failures if DNS servers can not handle traffic.

#21 2011-09-25 22:26:00

atang1
Administrator

Download manager is very important for IE5.5 or IE6. Download manager can resume download if lost data is a problem. So, we try to install the free download manager in iE6. And it worked well on XP. the speed on wifi is 87 kBps down to 27 kBps. And the file is safely saved.

In Win95, IE5.5  works within the 8 mB memory boundary. The download manager is 4.5 mB long. It probably

But it is absolutely necessary to have all the features of a download manager in wifi data traffic cintrol/

#22 2011-10-12 10:22:25

atang1
Administrator

People think dialup is dead, too slow? Pots system is still the most reliable until wireless traffic control can be worked out.

Wifi routers now substitute for DNS servers, and many times you can not find the website on firefox.

Dialup ISP has their own DNS servers and a reliable website ip address availability.

Linux has no win modem drivers that really worked. Alsa drivers and modem drivers now have to share time slots with wifi drivers(all use sound chipsets). Which is one of the major problems, So USB or external modem is insurance for internet surfing privileges.

AOL and MSN and many small ISP for $10/mo still have plenty of dialup modem users. Present free wifi still need at home POTS and dialup modem as backup for internet surfing.

Dialup seldom lose webpage download in many small packets. Free wifi if small packets are used often have one lossy packet and can not continue to resend rx packets. Microsoft programmers did not understand the nature of radio signals being lossy. Traffic control has to have download manager to keep on resending lossy packets.

#23 2011-10-21 09:41:03

atang1
Administrator

Browser for W95C or OSR2.5 is at best IE5.5sp2(memory requirement 8 mB). But Opera 10 and 11.51 will work with W95/98, you may need the maximum memory installation(512 mB) due to java plugins and rich experience.

http://www.mindprod.com/jgloss/opera.html

However, there are Crazybrowser(0.7 mB stacked windows & translation), Ace explorer(1.2 mB) and Avant explorer(3.2 mB added active-x directory) that are skins to any IE browser. Avant does have download manager; but ace may need internet download manager with 5 channels of data accelerator. Popup control will stop some trojans and virus. Translations made browsers good for international business dealings. Beware of non responsive skins due to memory overflow at 512 mB if too many tabbed windows are used. Use only one window will get by easier. 4th window will lose responsiveness.

Adobe flash player 10 update(3.6 mB) on iE5.5 is still unknown.

Bank of America text online banking is not yet supporting old IE6(even with SSL3.0 and TLS1.0).

We will get skin developers to make iE5.5 compatible(active-x directory in mpeg4/h.264 but no silverlight or digital TV without mpeg4/h.264) with new browsers in Windows9 development.

Its important to have a wifi pc-card driver for W95c. Orinoco wifi pc-card is good, download Win95.zip 1.3 mB long(wireless-driver.com). good for orinoco gold and silver Proxim or Lucent. or PC24E-H-XX or 2.4DS4 5v 16 bit cards. Perfect for free hotspots without encryption. Otherwise only WEP, no WPA.

#24 2011-11-30 15:55:54

atang1
Administrator

When we install WL110 on compaq laptop the wifi is only 35 kBps or 5x of speed of dialup. This means if there are problems with wifi traffic control, dialup has to work instead. Dialup is single user defined, to complete any task run on internet. WiFi depends on gateway router's wifi traffic control not to lose your task and subtotals of checksum per packet until all the packets are delivered.

We have waited until Microsoft had good records of your task to download a webpage. So, that downloads are always completed before other users start their tasks.

So far, its been improved this week, hopefully it will continue for many years to come.

We will be looking into speeding up W95 wifi data rate transfer. First, the cpu L2 cache serial clock frequency(greater than 10 mbps or USB 1.1 of 12 mbps or 33 mhz of pcmcia clock) just so that you can get 900 kBps wifi speed.

But still sometimes you need dialup to backup the wifi problems with DNS server not finding websites(Firefox problem).

#25 2011-12-02 08:57:49

atang1
Administrator

I left W95 on wifi and let Microsoft update wifi speed improvement. Then downloaded ACE explorer(1 mB) for IE5.5 upgrade by ACE skin. Download speed was 266 kBps on IE5.5 to complete download of ACE Explorer in 9 seconds.

Now ACE Explorer is the default browser, using IE5.5 engine. ACE has google translation and made IE5.5 extremely nice if you deal with multi-languages.

So, W95 can be improved. I am testing facebook and youtube to see if they can be modified to be run. Twitter loads slowly.

Adverts

Board footer