Administrator

Austrumi 2.0.7-iso ?

2010-03-02 10:47:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2010-03-21 20:23:12

oldslack44

Re: Austrumi 2.0.7-iso ?

thanks for the new iso! I enjoy this distro, it works very well on my pc. Which version is best for my 64bit
Athlon 4200?  I have the 2.07, the one marked stable , 1.9.3, and 1.95 already on cds.

#3 2010-03-23 03:12:43

oldslack44

Hello Atang,
    Tried out the new 2.0.7 iso, no luck getting dsl connected, dhcp is unable to obtain lease, and if I configure for static IP address, the Ĩonnect button has no effect when I click on it. I also tried by command line, ifconfig, but still no luck.
Printer is also no-go with my HP 1200 laserjet usb,, cups is present but there is no "printing manager" option in the menu.

#4 2010-03-23 09:36:04

atang1
Administrator

Well, Austrumi needs some concept to use, in this time and age. first you have to understand Linux kernel and /usr drivers for printers, all because of Xorg in /usr.

The new testing 2.0.x versions are even more confusing, because of the dsl modem, which is not supported by austrumi. You have toi use wirekess 802.11b to fall back on? Or hardwired ethernet network eth0. Austrumi abandoned all dialup modems sometime back when /dev.../tty0 is not mounted. DSL ethernet is a modem, needs device drivers. You might be able to find the dSL model you have and its device driver in late versions of Linux kernel then connect with the new DHCPCD or the old dhcpcd v1.3 in older versions of Austrumi(0.94)?

Since Austrumi is a tiny linux distro, many GCC library is not included, You live with Firefox or maybe OperaUnite do some cloud computing? Since cups is included, you need to study /usr drivers for usb. Hotplug your printer after booting Austrumi. Coldplug is not mounted during boot, because of unmouned /dev drivers in kernel 2.6.x. Coldplugged USB devices are only usable in kernel 2.4.x Austrumi or any Linux distros.

#5 2010-07-12 13:10:53

Timmi

I am confused as to why on their official website, 1.9.3 is offered, on the download link from distrowatch sends you to sourceforge that has 1.8.5, and the unofficial forum here is the only one that has the latest. :lol:
I had tried the 1.9.3 and put it to USB with unetbootin and the boot script was looking for CDROM drives to continue and thus terminated itself, as I have a netbook... I will try this new version and see how things go. 
I have a netbook, Asus eee PC 900SD (512MB RAM, 8GB SSD, 800mhz Celeron, 1024x600, WiFi)

Last edited by Timmi (2010-07-12 13:11:58)

#6 2010-07-12 13:54:38

Timmi

atang1 wrote:

The new testing 2.0.x versions are even more confusing, because of the dsl modem, which is not supported by austrumi. You have toi use wirekess 802.11b to fall back on? Or hardwired ethernet network eth0. Austrumi abandoned all dialup modems sometime back when /dev.../tty0 is not mounted. DSL ethernet is a modem, needs device drivers.

Dialup modem and DSL are very different.  DSL is multiple channels - up to 512 - it is not dialup - It's an "always-on" connection. It goes over the phone line but uses different frequencies, and thus, co-exists with phone calls (while dialup does not). Dialup dials a number to connect, DSL does not.  In the case of DSL, no modem driver is needed... you only need WiFi or Ethernet... (although there may be some old ones that are different, I'm not sure, from 10 years ago or so, but such wouldn't still be supported/offered by the ISP).

Last edited by Timmi (2010-07-12 13:59:27)

#7 2010-07-12 15:17:07

atang1
Administrator

You are right for the services available by carrier subsciption. Austrumi is developed in latvia, and specifically at the Russian university. Which may have IT department ethernet plus hotspots? So, even in the early days I asked Andrejs to add a dialup software he called ppconfig, which took a while to get all the open standards worked out. Our early relationship made me help with the unofficial website for English users; other languages is just GUI and keyboard maps. But the kernel 2.6.x eventually made  /dev/modem and ttySo(external modem) unmounted. DSL needs a modem(ethernet hardwared), which is not generally supported by linux drivers(except in dhcpcd v1.3; today dhcpcd v 5.4 uses mostly kernel drivers), and its not supported by Austrumi. In america today, you have cableTV and cable modem(ethernet hardwired) and you can use wireless router with cableTV subscription. Telco has the similar approach except, they are Microsoft network you have to connect to, not good for safari browser except yahoo portal.

Have fun. Austrumi is now testing v2.1.0, but only for i686 cpus. Let us know how EEEpc works with Austrumi and broadband connections?

#8 2010-07-13 01:29:01

Timmi

atang1 wrote:

Austrumi is now testing v2.1.0, but only for i686 cpus.

For what purpose do you do this?  You are reducing dramatically your potential user base... and to obtain what?  :(
Just to shut up some kids that don't know that their machine won't do anything extra, nor faster, than in a 586 version?  :P
I am skeptical that the extra memory addressing and few minor details are really what you are after, with such a minimalistic distro... :rolleyes:

Last edited by Timmi (2010-07-13 01:38:35)

#9 2010-07-13 01:54:51

Timmi

Here is a demonstration on how well it runs on my hardware...
FAIL!

........................................................................................................................................
(Stage 1)
* LiveCD version
* Create block and character devices
* Scan CD-ROM devices
* Austrumi not found.  Press ENTER to continue.
(enter)
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#
........................................................................................................................................

We ARE in 2010, correct?  ;)

Last edited by Timmi (2010-07-13 01:57:20)

#10 2010-07-13 10:21:40

atang1
Administrator

You just discovered why EEEpc900 can not run livecd(iso burned only), using USB cdrom? You have to have bios boot the USB device so that the vmlinux can be loaded. Then it goes to stage 1 to install all the drivers. Then you watch what can not be installed? Austrumi has cheat codes at the boot screen, to reduce some activity(text for vga instead of Xinit) so that some hardware can be used.

Anyway, its better to understand your hardware and how to use Austrumi and its flavours.

But no matter, you can install austrumi on a desktop and on a USB key, then boot on your Asus. Even tho austrumi is a tiny Linux distro. It uses firefox and must have 512 mB of dram without using hdd or a hdd swap file.

Today, people had to know, that Austrumi did not include Android tablets in their distro because ARM platform is not i686(branch prediction is simpler). Atom cpu is PIII in disguise and can be used as i686 in Linux kernels. So, Austrumi is basically for atom P4, M, or i3/5 cpu compatible, but watch out for single core or multicore cpu.

Don't worry, we can get you to boot once you have a bootable livecd or USB key? Then you boot USB device first in your EEEpc bios, instead of hdd or SSD. Then we can talk about the stage 1 compatibility for all your hardware.

The problem you have encountered is the USB cdrom can not be coldpluged in kernel 2.6.x. Kernel delays /dev/hotplug, that is why cdrom not found. Austrumi however made it possible to boot USB key, expected to find it in stage one. This is a Linux 2.6.x problem that distros had to bypass the delay timeout and install /dev/hotplug before cdrom can be found or USB key can be found during stage one. If Andrejs is reading this, please add script to allow USB cdrom to be found in stage 1 installation? Or add instruction to hotplug USB cdrom then 'enter' to cintinue stage 1 with Austrumi found.

#11 2010-07-14 03:24:32

Timmi

This is INSULTING!

I have tried DOZENS of distros, and booted and installed with unetbootin to get them onto USB just fine!
I have tried almost every distro in the top 100 from distrowatch.com that have Live CDs!  And they ALL boot just fine on that machine from a USB memory stick!

YOUR script is faulty, because it expects to see a file on a specific category of hardware device (CDROM) rather than a location/path!

#12 2010-07-14 08:49:30

atang1
Administrator

Well, if you think all distros are the same, this is not going to wash. Its not insulting if any distro testing version is not perfect. Some people can use it if their computer is the same as the distro computer used to write the install script.

Distros are all doing the codes on their own computers , not some one else's. So, Linux distros depend on others to report their problems, then fix the bugs. Austrumi testing v2.1.0 has to be tested. then we all know what needs to be done on our computer. Study virtualization then you know why sometimes installing another operating system runs into a problem. In this case its the kernel having both /dev/USB....(hotplug)(cold and hotplug during boot) and udev /usr/USB....(hotplug)(hotplug only after kernels are installed).

#13 2010-07-15 22:27:46

Timmi

Your first sentence was an insult.
BTW, it does NOT come with a CDROM!
You boot the USB memory stick!
That is what UNETBOOTIN is for, in case you overlooked that in my post.
And your script is written to require a physical CDROM.
If you fix this, let me know. 
You are the only distro out there that has this (intentional) limitation.

#14 2010-07-16 10:31:04

atang1
Administrator

All Linux distros are limited to tiny(less than 200mB), midi(less than 800mB) or enterprise(over 5gB) vesions, by the length of the codes included in the distro.. Even the enterprise versions can be limiting depending on the kernel version number they use. The latest kernel version is supposed to be more capable, the older versions are leaa capable therefore more limiting.

You can use any virtualization or emulation software to boot a foreign operating system, but it has to be able to mount the input device. Kernel 2.6 of the latest versions do not mount all the ports usless the distro took care of those ports.

Keep trying, you will find Austrumi interesting and work around for many limiting supports since kernels are including more and more drivers that you can access.

#15 2010-07-16 19:54:00

Timmi

NO.

Puppy.  Puppeee.  Leeenux.  Slitaz.  Antix. Peppermint. TinyMe2010. Jolicloud. EasyPeasy. UNR. ...in fact, ANY distro that I can think of (and have tried), that has a LIVE CD version, will boot just fine from a USB memory stick. 

I don't see the pertinence of talking about Mini, enterprise, etc, it has nothing to do with the issue.
You created the script the way you did.  There is no marketing spin you can put on it to change that.

When I see something like that, it immediately raises the question: "OK, what else is antiquated in this distro?  even if I do go out and BUY an external USB CD ROM drive to please this guy, what other surprises await me around the corner?"

If you had 2000 linux distros to choose from, would YOU go and purchase an external USB CDROM drive so you can try just one of them?  Without even knowing if it is good or not? 

I think once the software is up to date, it will not need such a drive, and will certainly merit the rest of us taking a look at it.

Last edited by Timmi (2010-07-16 19:58:13)

#16 2010-07-17 09:11:07

atang1
Administrator

Its USB whether it is flash card or cdrom. Austrumi livecd has to be installed into a flash card(to change all hook points from cdrom to flash card). Its not antiquated, its just the tradition of Austrumi users, so they don't have to use unetbootin.

So, if you use cheat codes(in boot screen or grub or lilo) to boot austrumi, dousb maybe will boot fine? VGA=XXX(xxx=792, 791,789,788, etc., watch out for video memory size limitation) to fix the video driver problems if any?

Anyway, there are work around if Austrumi is not familiar to the user. And we discuss all the ways to work around Austrumi.

Both dousb and vga=xxx in cheatcode installs usb devices and xvesa video in /dev drivers, in kernel 2.4.x, to make it easier for many users.

If kernel 2.6.x is dissected, kernel 2.4(/dev/drivers) is 37mB in squashfs, and kernel 2.6(udev /usr/drivers) add-on is 6.5 mB in length. So, you can cheat and boot with kernel 2.4 /dev drivers and run the operating system without using kernel /usr drivers.

#17 2010-07-18 04:49:29

Timmi

Why all this trouble?
We just want to be able to boot austrumi from a usb flash memory. That is all.  Nothing more, nothing less.
This is not a complex request, so why do you make it complicated for beginners? 
I don't understand why for experts like you, it is so difficult to make things simple! 
Some of us are beginners.  We are not going to use a command line to boot something that should just boot.

#18 2010-07-18 09:41:53

atang1
Administrator

Well, netbooks have simplified computer architecture, more USBs less cdrom and floppy. So, austrumi livecd does not run in netbook, until a usb flash card is made up. If livecd is copied to USB flash card, then some codes are still refer to cdrom. Livecd has to be installed to the USB flash card to work properly. As Austrumi go into testing versions, livecd may also be good for USB flash card copy. It means more logic to detect the mounted device, which is USB flash card then run all codes to and from that device?

#19 2010-07-19 03:24:57

Timmi

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking me.
Every LiceCD I put onto usb flash using program Unetbootin works.
Only austrumi does not work using this technique.
I am not an expert like you. I don't have the answers.

Maybe you need to use generic paths, instead of hard-coded path. 
For example, instead of referring to specific hardware device, refer to boot path.

#20 2010-07-23 19:03:38

atang1
Administrator

Since Puppy Wary like austrumi can not be run by virtualization either, I will come out and ask both for symlinks on hardware(mounted software driver file) so that virtualization software can run Wary and austrumi.

Obviously, if you do not have cdrom, that symlink will redirect to USB key or MicroSd flash memory, which has sram memory to data compress later into nand compressed data storage.

So, for the India $35 tablet without DDR or sdram, Linux kernel has to automatically redirect to the 256 mB of sram in the nand MicroSD(2-16gB) with a tiny sram resident Linux distro. Then at the end of any session, all new material downloaded and new configurations will be saved in the nand flash transistors.

However, this means you have to boot with nand memory transferring Linux kernels into sram by bios, which takes time no matter how small the distro is.

Incidentally, as cost is driven down WiFi/n which uses 500 edgeQam, but only 16/64 out of the 500edgeQam channels, will do the jobs. Ethernet became too costly just like DDR in the IBMPC architecture bill of materials. Sram which comes with MicroSD nand flash transistors will work just fine.

Adverts

Board footer