ati mobility radeon 9600 graphics

2009-08-31 00:55:30

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2009-08-31 08:41:59

atang1
Administrator

Re: booting problems with austrumi.1.9.5

You should be able to use earlier versions(pre 1.8.x).

Google pae(physical address extension for quest operating system such as vmware) wiki, will show you what it is all about. It has to have extended branch prediction. Or whatever else.

Your cpu(pentium-M 725) should be ok, but some had pae not supported. Google pentium-M 725 pae, will show some but not all supported with pae. But multicored cpus design had to have dynamic branch prediction not pae of extended branch prediction. single cored -M cpu can use pae.

It is usually AMD cpu that may have no branches shown in branch prediction making it vulnerable in pae and smb?

Austrumi version 1.9.4 is kernel 2.6.30 compiled for i486(32 bit) which has no pae or branch prediction(extended or dynamic). Should not select pae option in kernels. If compiled for i386 the option for pae will not be there either. But it also will have xorg driver versions(1.7.x of austrumiv1.9.4, 2.1.x, 6.8.x) for i386?

Austrumi 1.9.5 and Xorg(7.3) is mostly i686(64 bit) with write back(i586) and pae, smb, etc.? Some confusion here, because andrejs had confused transmeta cpu of i586 class with pae before? After Pentium I, most Intel cisc cpus have branch prediction. Risc does not have branch prediction at all, must use i386/i486 with FPU platform.

So the making of any operating system has options. And options should be switched on after bios tell the OS which cpu is on hand. Operating system starts with i386, then i486, then i586 then i686 single core, multi cored or clustered. Its all in the installer for the operating system. Linux distros are not smart enough to figure out how to make their distro fit for different cpu class? So, a one for all may be i386 and became very slow. Or it will only work for i686, and many people are left out.

#3 2009-09-04 07:43:04

wokko

:):):) thanks mate for the replie and i will download the early version

#4 2009-09-05 10:25:07

atang1
Administrator

There are many types of cpu in x86 family. windows have single core, multicore and single or multicore operating systems. Austrumi is now setting the kernel option to single core pae cpus.

Some older Austrumi versions are i386 and can be used with cpus that had no branch prediction or out of order instructions. This will work with cpus that has cisc fuctions with all kinds of branch predictions(including extended and dynamic of i686) built in, Many ARM dsp(32 bit or multicores) cpus now have branch predictions.

Eventually, austrumi will read bios output and set the kernel to any single core or multicore operating system. Slackware still does not have multilib, so, austrumi has to study how multlib is needed to run kernel options of different cpus. Multlib can use browser OS to read many other lib in the clouds of many repositories.

Adverts

Board footer